Question - Pen lift box or some box/mechanism like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I was talking with a friend who is a knifemaker. He mentioned that he had either seen an instruction book or something like it on how to make a box that raised the contents when the lid was lifted. He thought this would be great for a presentation box for a knife.

So, does anyone know of a book or manual that gives more info on making a box that would have this sort of mechanical action?

I saw some pen Lift boxes that seem to scoop the pen upon opening and I will forward that info to my friend, but I wanted to see if there are any other kinds of mechanisms out there for box makers.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've seen blanket / cedar chest w/ what I think you are looking for. A tray is attached to the lid, and when the lid is opened, the tray is raised. You might be able to search for blanket chest and find a mechanism that would work.

HTH

Bill

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Fishing tackle boxes have that type of mechanism. I don't know where to obtain them though other than take apart a old tackle box. Maybe Google it?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have seen a similar mechanism used in commercially available pen boxes
......Penn State and Woodcraft had them.

The were pretty inexpensive, as I recall. Maybe you could swap out the necessary mechansim into a new box of your own design.

HTH

Wayne

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Rockler sells Jewelry box tray supports, item no. 40436. It raises the tray when you open the box lid.
Expensive though at $ 53.79 per pair.

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Here is one you can build yourself.
jewelry_box_tray_lifting_mech.jpg

View image in gallery

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Elliot Landes is one of the pioneers in penmaking, and is now closing down his Penmakers business. I knew Elliot a long time ago (and it seems like a galaxy far, far away) when we were both in the same co-op gallery in California. He makes/made a wonderfully ingenious lift box - look under the pens link: http://penmakers.com/ for a picture. Perhaps you can give Elliot a call or email for some details. Say Hi for me,

added: this photo may give you enough information on the lift mechanism: http://www.penmakers.com/wbs.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors