Question about wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knb226

New User
Kelly
How do you know if wood is good enough to turn/use for projects. I've got a Bradford Pear tree in my yard that needs to be cut down, the tree is dead. And wondering if I'll be able to use/share the wood.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If it isn't rotted and is end sealed after cutting, it is still a roll of the dice. If the rings are not fairly circular and symmetric, chance of checking go up. If the rings are widely spaced, you run a higher risk. IMO, your best bet with Bradford is "artsy" turning where a crack isn't the end of the world.

EDIT - I didn't mean for that to sound as negative as it might. By "roll of the dice", I did not mean long shot, just that you will get more loss than with a lot of other woods.

knb226

New User
Kelly
If it isn't rotted and is end sealed after cutting, it is still a roll of the dice. If the rings are not fairly circular and symmetric, chance of checking go up. If the rings are widely spaced, you run a higher risk. IMO, your best bet with Bradford is "artsy" turning where a crack isn't the end of the world.

EDIT - I didn't mean for that to sound as negative as it might. By "roll of the dice", I did not mean long shot, just that you will get more loss than with a lot of other woods.

What do you mean by end sealed? Also what is the process that I need to do for curing the wood in order to turn?

CarvedTones

Andy
I mean like AnchorSeal on the ends. White or yellow glue diluted 1:1 or less (as in less water) with water will work in a pinch. If you cut a Bradford, or just about any fast growing ornamental, and don't seal it almost immediately it will check.

knb226

New User
Kelly
I mean like AnchorSeal on the ends. White or yellow glue diluted 1:1 or less (as in less water) with water will work in a pinch. If you cut a Bradford, or just about any fast growing ornamental, and don't seal it almost immediately it will check.

Where can AnchorSeal be found?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Where can AnchorSeal be found?

Klingspor and Woodcraft does sell it. I would also check with Rick at the Woodworking Source. Both Klingspor and the Woodworking Source are regular NCWW sponsors.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

knb226

New User
Kelly
Okay so from what I read on those sites so far is I can turn green wood. Which I never really thought about not being possible just didn't think about it. Once the piece is finished; bowl, pen or whatever it may by, then you can dry by placing in a brown paper bag and leaving for a few weeks-months correct? So if I read that correctly the steps are as followed.

1. Cut pieces of wood and seal with ends with a sealer, come back to logs after sitting is what I read in one of the sites, but how long do you let the wood set with the sealer on the ends when checking for checks?

2. Rough out the piece of wood for turning.

3. Turn piece of wood into a "masterpiece"

4. Dry by whatever method you choose.

5. Post pics on ncwoodworker and gloat about your "masterpiece"

Am I missing anything here or any other tips/advice?

Thanks!

CarvedTones

Andy
Depending on how much the wood moves and how much you care about symmetry there might be a different 3, which is rough turning, leaving it thick, and another step after 4 to turn to final form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS