Queen Anne Style legs anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalChong

New User
Al
Can anyone tell me how to make Queen Anne style legs? I mean the ones that curve down to a lion's claw. I understand the lion's claw portion has to be carved in. I was more curious about how to cut out the template.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
The pattern is applied to two sides of the turning block. Cut out one side using a bandsaw. Then tape the cut off piece back in place and flip the block over and cut out the other side. Remove the reattached side and you have the basic cabriole shape. The rest is shaped using handtools.
Rob

OriginalChong

New User
Al
The pattern is applied to two sides of the turning block. Cut out one side using a bandsaw. Then tape the cut off piece back in place and flip the block over and cut out the other side. Remove the reattached side and you have the basic cabriole shape. The rest is shaped using handtools.
Rob

What is the minimum block needed, let's say for a 2' 6" tall leg? Will 3" be enough or should I go with four?

Thank you, BTW. That's how I pictured doing it but it just seemed like there was one factor that I wasn't seeing.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
You'll just have to figure out the block size based on the leg you want. I don't do reproduction period furniture but know some guys that do. They use 3" for most of their work.
Rob

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you can pick up a copy of The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird (maybe the local library?), he gives a good tutorial on cabriole legs (dual curves, etc). One interesting tip is to leave a square bridge out to the edge down near the foot when cutting the first curve to give you a square support on the table when cutting the second curve.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS