Quality Saw For A Small Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sightandsounds

New User
Trent
In the short while I've owned the Craftsman table saw that I bought for $40 off of Craigslist, I have learned to despise it. Fortunately for me, the saw came to a screeching halt today as smoke poured out of the motor. I think it's time to upgrade.:icon_cheers

I don't want another dissapointing saw. Most of the smaller saws I've looked at aren't up to the quality I'm after. My shop is pretty darn small so something with wings the size of a small airplane ain't gonna fit. I've got roughly a 3'x4' space for a table saw, snything bigger is going to be hard to work around.

I know I want -
1. cast iron table (I could get by with steel extensions)
2. Belt drive
3. Reasonably good fence
3. $700 or less range

Anybody have a recommendations?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Trent, for your size requirements, you may find that a used contractor saw (like the one serving as my avatar) or a hybrid saw like DavidF has (pic below) would serve your needs. Please note that
David has equipped his saw with an outfeed table. Another consideration would be the Hitachi hybrid saw you will find in many Lowes... should be right about $499, and is well regarded, though I don't know any members here that have one.
DSCF0004.JPG

b4man

New User
Barbara
Trent,
I feel like you are going to get a lot of recommendations. Most will be from people a lot smarter and more experienced that I.

My thoughts are if I ever upgrade from my 15 yr old Jet Contractor Saw ( which has served me well) it will be to a cabinet saw. I think it's hard to get a precision fence to work well on a open frame saw.

Good luck with your decision and finding what you want.

Barbara

sightandsounds

New User
Trent
I think it's hard to get a precision fence to work well on a open frame saw.

Do you think this is due to the rigidity (or lack of) in the frame or is the table and fence made better in a cabinet saw?

This saw looks pretty good to me http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1654009469.html, although the length may be pushing it. It's about 12 years old. I'm not sure what the top is made of, it doesn't look like cast iron.

Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated.

Trent

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
One of the happiest days of my life was the day I got rid of my Craftsman tablesaw- it was a piece of junk, bought it new and it performed very poorly from day one. I replaced it with a Delta contractors saw and it has been a good saw for the past 25 years. I've seen lots of good deals on good used saws both here, on Craigslist and in the Iwanna Paper. Particularly some of the sweet unisaw deals have been oh so tempting. Note that the older Delta equipment is better than the newer Delta equipment.

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I assume your experience was with a somewhat recent Craftsman saw as one of the options that fits your list is an older Craftsman. They used to use the same materials and hardware all across the range of products; my little "bench saw" has a cast iron top, belt drive, precision metal gears for adjusting, trunnions, etc. It does lack a really good fence, but the larger and slightly more recent ones usually have better ones and with your budget, you would have plenty left over to upgrade. Anyway, over the years they made a lot of good saws in the size you are looking for with the features you are looking for, but you would be hard pressed to spend all that money. :)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Do you think this is due to the rigidity (or lack of) in the frame or is the table and fence made better in a cabinet saw?

Yep and Yep:gar-Bi

Like I said, there are far more experienced woodworkers here than I.

Being that Table Saws are the backbone of most shops a really reliable saw can eliminate the need for a Joiner, a Compound Miter Saw and a few other tools. My beef with a Contractor saw is the constant need for tweeking the fence. I don't have a Beisemyer (sp?) or UniFence tho because I can't see spending more for a fence than the saw cost. My saw is mobil but every time I move it I have to recheck alignment:eek:

Of course, the blades, splitters and guards are very important too. By the time you buy all the after market improvements/accessories I'm not convinced it's economical to go the route of a less expensive Contractors saw.

Barbara

richlife

New User
Rich
Hey, Trent. Thanks for asking this question because I need the answer too. Personally, I don't know if any contractor saw is going to meet your (our) requirements. I've had for 30 years what turned out to be a quite good contractor saw that still runs and functions well, but I just need/want something better. This has to do with being able to have a really good fence, really good cuts, and good dust collection. Also, it needs to be able to handle various jigs and fixtures without impacting the cut quality. All this for no greater than the size you specify (or smaller please?).

I like the look of the hybrid tha NCPete showed, but another hard requirement is to keep the cost WAY down -- that will mean used and lucky!

Thanks again, Rich (I'll keep watching this thread.)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There are some decent contractor saws. I would pay very close attention to the quality of the fence and how well it works. Used is an excellent route to go, and you can get a HIGH quality used saw for the fraction of new cost.

If you are looking new, hybrids are a good way to go. The DeWalt hybrid David Fenton has for sale is an excellent saw.

You may also be able to get a used cabinet saw within your price range.

JohnW

New User
John
Trent

Since your space is limited AND you want a better quality saw, you should consider looking at a cabinet saw without the long rails or extensions. Saws have two dimensions that are important in small shops....the foot print (where the feet contact the floor) and the overall dimension including table, rails and fence.

The Griz 1023 series and the similar models from Delta etc actually take up less space than most contractor saws. The 1023 footprint is only 20.5" x 20.5" and the overall length x width is a little smaller than their contractor saw. The motor hanging off the back end of the cont saw can be a pain in a small shop space. And with the much smaller footprint, a cabinet saw allows you to store other things under it...or build a router table between the front and back rails allowing two handy tools in one space.

If your budget can't swing a new cab saw...look for used. They pop up frequently and can be bought within your budget.

John W

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Just my two cents worth - I have the Hitachi hybrid that I got a Lowe's. Am well pleased with it. I esp. like the fact that it is enclosed and has a dust port on the bottom. I had a contractors saw, but got tired of sweeping up dust every time I used it. How I don't have that problem. Plus, it has solid wings, rather than open grill-like extensions. I use a thin kerf blade and the saw has done everything I have asked of it.
But I would also look around for a used cabinet saw. You can usually get one for about the same price as a contractors type, and they are so much better.
Jim in Mayberry

JimZ3

New User
Jim
Trent

Since your space is limited AND you want a better quality saw, you should consider looking at a cabinet saw without the long rails or extensions.

If your budget can't swing a new cab saw...look for used. They pop up frequently and can be bought within your budget.

John W

I Agee

My Unisaw with the Fence rails is only 45"wide 33"deep....You can easly score a used one on CL for under 700

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
My beef with a Contractor saw is the constant need for tweeking the fence. I don't have a Beisemyer (sp?) or UniFence tho because I can't see spending more for a fence than the saw cost.

That is a fence problem, not a saw problem. There are contractor saws with bad fences and contractor saws with good fences. I have a Delta contractor saw on a mobile base with the Unifence. I have NEVER had to adjust the fence since I re-assembled it 10 years ago after moving into this house. I move the saw almost every time I'm in the shop. It is always dead-on accurate, straight and square. Put your fence on a cabinet saw and you'll still have the same problem.

To the original poster - look for a good fence that doesn't need a rear rail. A biesmeyer or unifence will do you well.

Chris

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

This saw looks pretty good to me http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1654009469.html, although the length may be pushing it. It's about 12 years old. I'm not sure what the top is made of, it doesn't look like cast iron.

Trent

cast iron top w/ stamped steel wings.

richlife

New User
Rich

Trent

Trent, Do a Google search on "Delta 36-640" (the model number he lists) -- there are a number of discussions and information. I'd have to question that original price and I don't think $450 is worth it either way. Purely my opinion. And even though I'm looking, my max cost is less than yours.

It just occurred to me. I had an offer on an almost new table saw that just isn't different enough from the one I have to be worth it. I have the manual. The seller is a good man. I'll get the basic information and send it to you and post the model here so others can comment. His price was lower than the $450 and you could see it near Siler City (if it's still available which I assume it is as I still have the manual). Rich

richlife

New User
Rich
Trent, ...It just occurred to me. I had an offer on an almost new table saw that just isn't different enough from the one I have to be worth it. I have the manual. The seller is a good man. I'll get the basic information and send it to you and post the model here so others can comment. His price was lower than the $450 and you could see it near Siler City (if it's still available which I assume it is as I still have the manual). Rich

Sorry -- false alarm -- he has sold that saw. Too bad, it was a Rigid TS2424 and has gotten pretty good reviews. You may want to look out for one. Rich

JimZ3

New User
Jim
Trent, Do a Google search on "Delta 36-640" (the model number he lists) -- there are a number of discussions and information. I'd have to question that original price and I don't think $450 is worth it either way. Purely my opinion.

I agree...Thats to high...Ive seen plenty to delta contractor saw for 150 to 200.(not with that fence)....300 would be a fair price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS