Propane Club thread moved ..updated update

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Re: Propane Club thread moved ( update )

OK, here is what I know so far. Spoke with a couple of people who have the service and have been filled and are tickled to death...... no extra delivery/hazmat fees ( so far ) straight $2.19 a gal, net 30 pay structure ( with decent credit ) and professional service. I pulled the trigger on it yesterday. The lady from Ferrel called that afternoon to begin setting up the account. Nice as can be. They should approve it today and then call with 2 days notice before switching the tank. They do a pressure/safety test and move my current carrier's tank to an accessible spot. It will be up to me to arrange the pick up/cancellation with the old provider. Can't speak to that process , probably won't be pretty considering who the provider is but I'm banking that it will be worth it. Stay tuned .......more news as it happens :mrgreen:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I'll be real interested in the removal process and expenses associated with the cancellation of the old service. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks - Ken.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

Moved here 2 yrs next monyh, Gibson Glen Zebulon, builder had Mc Craken in community; they r a ripoff, pia etc;
decided this year look elsewhere; Ferrell is local here in Zebulon, walked in, spoke to gal result:
they brought new tank, pulled mc crakens, filled it the cost! NO tank fee, when they said 75, I said NO aint payin LOL LOL; they said OK :gar-La;:gar-La;
same size tank Ferrel cost was 120 yes 120 dollars cheaper, 2:19 as stated, Mc Craken wanted 3.29. Called em told em to pickup their tank; no cost for that either

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Will have to dig into this..I'm in the $3.20+/gal propane club.

If nothing else, it's some ammunition to talk to your current provider. Some of us with a buried, distributor-owned tank might need that. <uh-oh>

-Mark

pirate71

New User
Evans

I'm in Durham and went thru the process of looking for another distributor this past summer. I'm with EnergyUnited Propane and I call them when I want my tank filled. I try to fill in the summer when it is cheaper and then buy less in Jan to get me thru on a 500 gal tank. This summer, EnergyUnited wanted $3.19 to fill my tank. In looking around, I found a supplier that would install new tank and move the competitor's tank to an accessible place(no charge), and give me 400 gallons for $1.99. After that, I go to their regular price which was $3.09.

I called EnergyUnited and told them I was going to leave, so they agreed to give me a $2.89 price thru April, 2012. Also, they said there would be a $75 charge to pick up the tank and any gas would be credited to me at the last price paid. I decided to stay with EnergyUnited for another year and save the offer from the competitor for next year if EnergyUnited won't work on their price.

Anyway, that is how things work around my situation which may shine some light on the process and price for switching.

sawduster

New User
Robert

Will have to dig into this..I'm in the $3.20+/gal propane club.

If nothing else, it's some ammunition to talk to your current provider. Some of us with a buried, distributor-owned tank might need that. <uh-oh>

-Mark

The in-ground tanks are certainly more complicated. I understand that you may have to purchase the tank to actually qualify. Not sure but i know it is a different process. I'm above ground. I'm not too concerned about the pick up of the old tank but my current provider has a reputation for gouging so I expect them to somehow try to make me pay in some way ....ain't gonna happen and I'm ready for that battle :mrgreen: My current tank is almost empty anyway so if they don't buy the gas back then it is a small loss. Expected to hear from the new folks today and did not so I will call them in the morning

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Ping for an update from the participants.

So, how did 'the switch' go ?

-Mark

sawduster

New User
Robert

Ping for an update from the participants.

So, how did 'the switch' go ?

-Mark

Funny you should mention this. I just posted an update in the original post since they switched my tank out today. The deal is for real

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
We called Amirgas today to get their current price. They looked up our account and quoted us $4.23/gal. :realmad:

After checking a couple of other places and calling Amerigas back, they said they could drop that price to $3.98/gal.

Guess who's going to sign up with the coop? :icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
We called Amirgas today to get their current price. They looked up our account and quoted us $4.23/gal. :realmad:

After checking a couple of other places and calling Amerigas back, they said they could drop that price to $3.98/gal.

Guess who's going to sign up with the coop? :icon_thum

Mark, K.B Johnson recently quoted me $2.94.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
BTW. If anyone is planning to sign up for this coop, don't forget to put Robert's name on the membership application as the person that referred you.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
We just got switched over to Ferrellgas.

Called Amerigas to cancel our service and they told me there would be no fees for picking up the tank. The tank is below 5%, but they did say they would issue a credit for any gas left in the tank @ .30/gallon under what we paid for it.

sawduster

New User
Robert
We just got switched over to Ferrellgas.

Called Amerigas to cancel our service and they told me there would be no fees for picking up the tank. The tank is below 5%, but they did say they would issue a credit for any gas left in the tank @ .30/gallon under what we paid for it.

Well just for the record , McCracken picked up my tank with about 5% left, and now has billed me $85 for labor and claimed it was empty when they got it :eek: 8 yrs of loyalty with a near perfect payment history :realmad: What a bunch or crooks !
....needless to say , it's " on " :qleft7: :kamahlitu

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Well just for the record , McCracken picked up my tank with about 5% left, and now has billed me $85 for labor and claimed it was empty when they got it :eek: 8 yrs of loyalty with a near perfect payment history :realmad: What a bunch or crooks !
....needless to say , it's " on " :qleft7: :kamahlitu
Adding to the picture..I'm with Garner Gas. They don't sell their tanks, but they do charge $85 for pickup and $2/gallon from propane removal. I'm not sure if that's them paying me or vice versa <LOL>

Anybody wanna help me dig out this 500 gal behemoth. Maybe I'll tell my kids the tank is a "pirate treasure chest".
:rotflm:

-Mark

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
My Mother in law joined recently, and my wife have joined too. Since our tank is at 70%, we'll wait until late January or February to get it filled by the Coop folks.

We own our own underground tank, so not problems there.

Robert, thanks much for sharing this great opportunity.

Scott

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I mentioned the $.30/gallon that Amerigas was going to charge me to Glenn Gibson, the guy that is running the coop. He forwarded this email that he received from a member.

Hello Glenn,

Here is some info I learned from the Dept. of Ag, for your customers who may be stuck:

Atty general/Consumer Protection takes the position that no tank removal or restocking fee is owed unless there is a signed contract to that effect. Wording on the back of a service invoice (like I have) does not obligate the customer to a removal fee.

Customer does not assume any obligations under the builder's agreement with the provider without a signed contract between provider and customer.

Atty gen/Cons protection agency regulates propane providers under business practices.

Provider must pay the last price you pd for the propane for your reimbursement.

Thanks,

### #####
Licensed NC Loan Officer, ADR Mortgage
NMLS # ######
919-###-####

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
While I was thinking about switching Amerigas showed up Friday and filled the tank. Interestingly enough when I calculated the rate they charged me from the bill it was only $3.15 a gallon.

Maybe they have seen the light with so many customers switching over price. Or not.

Think I'll wait and think about it some more before switching. Since I now have an almost full tank anyway.

YMMV - Ken.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
$3.15 is a lot better than the $4.23 they quoted me. That is in line with what Ferellgas is charging ($3.19) if you are not in the coop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS