Project-based turning classes for friends, families.....and kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
We were asked about family-friendly turning classes. After thinking about it a bit, we have drafted a tentative plan for half-day classes for two to five people...friends, families, and children. The classes are for beginning & inexperienced turners, and are based on learning to turn by completing a turning project, using a commercial kit.

We intentionally kept the mandatory class size small: minimum number of people is two. This way a couple of friends or a single mom with a child etc can schedule a class and not have to worry about coming up with more people to "make" the class.

We are not publishing the web page yet, but instead are distributing it for feedback.

(If that link doesn't work, copy & paste http://www.chessspy.com/pages/class projects.htm)

To test doing this with kids, we are going to hold a beta class with kids in the family the first weekend in February and will know a LOT after that! These rascals are ages 5 - 12: three girls & two boys.

The girl section of the class testing squad is pictured below. Gotta love 'em!

girls.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think that is a GREAT idea - you may want to speak with Bill Clemons (sp) to see if there is a natural fit from what you are doing and an NCWW outreach effort.

I applaud you and Alan for this venture as I would be thinking "Will anyone come, is anyone even interested... blah, blah, blah... but I think it is better to "put it out there" and "see who takes the bait!" (sure I can say that, it is not my time or money!) :roll:

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Well, the students in the class that reconvenes on Saturday were mulling on their kids (5 girls between the two families) learning how to turn... that sparked the idea. And they knew of a Dad with two boys that they were going to tell about us.

So I started today thinking about kids' classes. However, once I started drafting the outlines of the class, it seemed silly to restrict it to kids' classes, so we just expanded it to be any two - five folks who wanted to spend half a day learning to make something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS