Prohibative Content Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, what post did I miss that brought this on? Did anyone move it into moderation? I apologize for not catching it.
D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Don't worry DL, I missed it too. But I have deduced what it was -- I'll send you a PM. From the very beginning Steve has been very keen on picking out some "questionable" phrases that I must admit to just reading right past. Bottom line is, read that rule again and keep an eye out for any comments that might be construed as stereotypical.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I believe I know which one it might have been. It looks like some of the posts I breezed across have been removed. At least I think I was looking at the right thread.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, slipped right past me... I did think about it for a sec. but then thought, well that is a politically correct term (at least I think so).

Dave:oops:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
Yep, slipped right past me... I did think about it for a sec. but then thought, well that is a politically correct term (at least I think so).

Dave:oops:

Dave,

PC yes but still could be viewed as a stereotype comment. I breezed right by it and missed it. Good catch on Steve's part.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave, et. al.,

It was politically correct, but nonetheless resulted in inflammatory replies. So though, I may have been politically correct, I erred in making the post. :BangHead:

With regrets,
Roger

clowman

Clay Lowman
You guys are a step adhead of me then.. Well, I didn't get to look at everything like I normally do.. dang day job..

DaveO

New User
DaveO
sapwood said:
Dave, et. al.,

It was politically correct, but nonetheless resulted in inflammatory replies. So though, I may have been politically correct, I erred in making the post. :BangHead:

With regrets,
Roger

Roger don't be too hard on yourself, others have erred with good intentions....remember the butt rocket video :oops: :oops: :BangHead: :BangHead:

This just goes to show that we need to think one step beyond what we think is acceptable to what everyone would think is acceptable.

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Gosh, miss a few hours on the site and I miss a lot. Would someone PM me about what the post was so I will know to watch for similar things too?

T

toolferone

cskipper said:
Gosh, miss a few hours on the site and I miss a lot. Would someone PM me about what the post was so I will know to watch for similar things too?

Me too please.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm lost... I'm sure there's loads of posts I've missed. I have no idea hat's going on here. Can someone point me to the instruction from Steve so I at least know hat the rule is?

(trying hard not to be quite so clueless...)

Ray

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'm in the dark here too. I primarily read during the day so I miss anything that happens in the evening.
Hypothetical question - Is there a reason why such offensive posts can't be moved to this forum? It's not publicly available and it seems to me that it would be a good learning tool as far as what to watch out for...not to mention if there may be certian members who may need a little closer monitoring than others.
Not trying to criticize, just wondering if a more direct/full disclosure approach among the mods/admins might serve a better purpose than beating around the bush?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Let me set this correctly. The thread CSI Durham was the culprit. Roger used the phrase "Hispanic gangs". While the word Hispanic was PC and should have a neutral connotation, it was coupled with the word gang, thus making the phrase negative.

Now while what I just said is true, it is also semantic crap. What reason is there to mention race? That was my flag in this case. Every time someone mentions race, that should attract your immediate attention. And for the life of me I can't see many reasons, if any, why anything on this site needs to mention race, religion, etc. What does it really bring to the conversation, other than the chance to pile on with more bigotry.

Which is exactly what happened. Splinter let loose with a tirade.

I deleted the word Hispanic from Roger's post and deleted Splinter's post entirely. I PM'd both. Roger realized what he may have started and sincerely apologized, and so did Splinter.

Why did I make the webmaster announcement? Becuase too many people saw both posts in their orginal version and I want to remind people.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mike Davis said:
On my other forum, we keep a record of offensive posts in case the poster says we cut his posts for political reasons rather than breaking the rules.

It also helps in see trends, agendas and so on.

Not so much needed here but may become more important in the future.

Just start a thread titled "edited posts" in the Admin & Moderator's Forum.

Mike, good idea. Actually I have something in mind. But it will wait untill after the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS