Progress on ZCyclone Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I got the new 220V line ran alone the outside shop wall. It would have been fast except for the firebreak in the wall. Had to take down part of the plywood sheathing. After that I attached the Cyclone to the wall. Still working on the angle of the unit relative to the wall. I have to get more ducting and I will be off and running!!

Doug

Attachments

• P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 208
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 170

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Looking good! On a side note, how did you adhere the blue sheathing to the inside of your garage door?

tv

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
:-DThat thing looks like it could suck a tornado off it's course. Be carful that when you turn it on, you have allowed enough make up air "For YOUR ENTIRE SHOP" to allow it to work correctly.:-D

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
The sections of my garage door each have upper and lower lips. I cut the insulation and fitted it within each section such that the lips hold the pieces in place.

Doug

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Mark:

I have turned it on already and no ill effects. Although I haven't seen my youngest child lately.:eusa_thin :lol:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Man, that beast looks like it could suck the knots out of a pine board.

Blowgratulations!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Steve:

You are absolutely right. There is no pop since there is no change in air pressure in the shop. It isn't even as noisy as I thought it might be. I am working on the duct layout. I hope to use quick-clamp ducts (which it came with) so that I can rearraange it as need be, and can take it with me if we ever move.

Doug

M

McRabbet

Doug not sure what "quick-clamp ducts " are.
Here is a source -- you need real deep pockets for this stuff, but it offers the maximum flexibility because you can reconfigure simply be moving pieces around and reclamping at the roll-end joints. Download their catalog or price list and you'll see what I mean. Grizzly also carries this stuff as do companies like Air Handling Systems.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Rob has it correct. A number of companies make this type of duct. Nordfab is one. I am going with Kirk & Blum in Greensboro. They are supposedly somewhat less expensive than Nordfab et al. I'll let you know. At least this is one time a small shop is a good thing.:lol:

Doug

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Well, after three different configurations I am almost done with the duct work. The first arrangement was nixed by Travis Porter, when I showed him pics. There were too many unnecessary turns. :eusa_doh: So I raised things up and plodded along. I still have to put the lathe hood in place, build my super-secret collapsible SCMS dust hood, and attach the last line for the joiner. (Probably going to do that tonight.)

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 184
  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 163

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
Doug , your breaking my heart! I've been eying that PSI for a few months now just itching to pull the trigger. You set up looks great. Is that the 2.5 Hp or the 3.5Hp model and did you use their ductwork layout service?
I must have missed your original gloat thread on the purchase but what convinced you to go with the PSI unit.
Have a Good One,
Smitty

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Reid:

It's a 2.5 HP unit. My shop is only 12 x 22. What convinced me was the price on CL: $590 with duct work. I tore outta work fast to get there and give a deposit. I was planning on buying a cyclone later this year, probably an Oneida dust gorilla, but this deal was too good to pass up. I bought more of the duct work from Kirk and Blum in Greensboro. They offer a layout service too.

Their on-line tool did not work well for me bacause my shop is so small, so I did a measured drawing with distances, inlet sizes and took pictures too.

Chris Hutts at K & B was very helpful. All the tube is the quick disconnect kind.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS