Product For Good Smooth Buildup/Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I was working on a redheart flute ...don't really like this wood. It has a chalky smell to it. Exterior of the flute turned well...Anyhow on one end it isn't smooth and has some real dips and uneven places for about 3" inside. I tried sanding it smooth and it helped but the walls on this flute are thin and I could mess up.... This is a 3/4" bore flute ...I want to just spread something around the inside to just slightly build up this area and just sand the product down nice and smooth It needs to be something clear .This is on the mouthpiece so it will get a little moisture...If there is something I can use from Lowes that would be great......

ehpoole

Ethan
If you are looking for something clear, you may consider trying a hard setting epoxy. Mix it, spread it as smoothly as possible, allow it a day or two to fully cure and harden, then re-bore (and if necessary, sand smooth).

Wipe on poly (like any polyurethane) is good at stabilizing wood and has good pore filling properties if you wish to sand something perfectly smooth, but you would need many dozens of applications to fill in a void/depression of any significance.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Epoxy will work well, but if you need to fill a deep void you can mix in some silica thickening powder to the epoxy. Try 2 parts silica to three parts epoxy and you can fill a 1/8" deep void without compromising the clarity of the finish. This filler is available from West Marine or from numerous online sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS