Problem with finish on cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayhay

New User
Jay
I finished building a natural edge end table about 6 weeks ago. It was finished with a BLO and thinner mixture, 3 coats of oil base poly and then paste wax. It has had a lamp sitting on it until today and when I moved it there was a perfect outline of the lamp base on the top. It looked like what you would get from the sun hitting it (lighter under the lamp)the only problem is it is not in a sunny location. Any ideas what causes this.:dontknow::BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cherry will darken over time, UV exposure or not. I have a basement shop (read... no natural light) and a Cherry piece I just completed would darken between the weekend that I got to work on it. As Steve mentioned it's part UV exposure and part oxidation, and that is the beauty of Cherry, it gets better with age.
When I turned over my Cherry stereo cabinet to my folks I left them with explicate instructions to move any item they may place on top of it every few days to avoid what you are seeing. The good new for you is once you've moved the lamp that area will darken to blend with the rest.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS