Preferred finishes on Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom.m

Tom
Senior User
I recently cut a bunch of small blanks out of Aromatic Cedar to make some platters, saucers and bowls. For the finish, I've experimented with Cedar oil, tung oil and Mylan's friction polish. Frankly, I'm not happy with any of those and am wondering what other folks are using? Thanks much.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting question, Tom. I have never put anything on aromatic cedar; why do you want to seal the pores of the cedar?

tom.m

Tom
Senior User
Interesting question, Tom. I have never put anything on aromatic cedar; why do you want to seal the pores of the cedar?
Raymond, the last couple of pieces I turned, I did not use any kind of finish; I just left them natural. I didn't know if other people do it that way or put another kind of finish on it. Leaving it natural looks fine and certainly smells good. Don't know how long the aroma will last. Thanks.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
The aroma to human noses does not last that long but to insects it last quite a long time. That is why you see instructions on cedar sticks for closets that say to refresh the scent from periodically with a little sandpaper.

I personally do not put a finish on cedar but then again, I don't use it that often either.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've used a sprayed lacquer finish with excellent results, but that was on flat work.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If you prefer the odor of red cedar then leave it alone or add some Cedar oil from Giles & Kendall. It's not a protective finish but often used inside of old blanket chests that needed "refreshing".

If you want to seal the pieces use Zinsser rattle can spray shellac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS