Power!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I got power in the workshop! *grunt* *grunt* *grunt* In addition to the four puny 15A receptacles already there, I now have an additional 18 (duplex) 20A receptacles in full metal jacket to plug stuff into. I'm not sure I have that many tools...yet :tool: (more grunting). Oh, and five 240V outlets as well.

Of course, this is just the main shop area. I still have to wire the other room with an additional 12 receptacles! (grunt chorus).

Couple of pictures...

panel_conduit.jpg

View image in gallery

I ran a "trunk" line at the top of the wall, with drops every 4 ft. or so. That's a LOT of boxes, conduit and fittings. But it all turned out great. It's rock solid, even if I do something stupid like swinging a large board against the wall nothing is going to come loose. Ever. Alien civilizations will conduct archeological diggings twenty millenia from now and find that the only thing left of Raleigh is this weird collection of tubes with copper wires inside them.

I probably went a little overboard here and there. Once you get going, it's so easy to add an extra outlet, "just in case". One of the reasons I went with metal conduit is that's easy to change and add outlets later. Kind of pointless having that flexibility if you've blanketed the wall with outlets from the get-go :)

Next up is wiring the lights...

[youtube]BAhVmjptZMI[/youtube]

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I think you could use a new them song.... "The night the lights went out in Raleigh!"

At this point, you need more tools. Otherwise, all your investment in outlets will not yield a good ROI.

Really, you are only doing the most cost effective thing :)

Enjoy!

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
Congratulations Bas! :icon_thum you seemed to have mastered the art of EMT bending. :eusa_clap When I wired my detached shop I thought I had placed enough outlets but I was wrong. :embaresse I am now a firm believer that outlets are like clamps, you can never have too many. I was smart enough to allow enough ampacity (100 amps) in the feed from the house so that future electrical additions will not be problematic. :wsmile:

Last edited:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Nice job Bro',

Now with all that power you're going to need new/bigger machines. I think that it's time to call your favor into Scott and him drive you up to Grizzly with his flatbed so that can load it up with YOUR stuff this time.:rotflm:

ps. I hear that the girls have been asking about "The Bas" lately.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
So, the video we really want to see is you, jumping from tool to tool, never using the same outlet twice.

It's funny. When I added the additional 20 outlets in my shop I thought I would have enough but, even though usually only 1 or 2 tools run at once, there still aren't enough receptacles. Key to my error was that I added the receptacles on all four walls so the ones on the lumber storage wall are useless. I still manage to get by!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So far, my two outlets are serving me well, thank you very much!

:embaresse OOPS, I forgot about the 220 outlet for the lathe.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Now post a picture of all the mis-bent pipes! :rotflm:
:eusa_naug Those are not mis-bent pipes, they are ready-made mistakes. Just in case you know someone who doesn't have the time to make their own mistakes. Bas may make them a good deal. These are no "seconds", but first-rate mistakes of the highest quality. :rolf:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
WHAT????? NO low voltage?:dontknow: at your pace you will need it for slow woodworkin!:gar-La; now where did I put the batteries for my low voltage tablesaw?:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You used enough clamps on that pipe that is for sure.
Isn't that the guideline, that you can never have enough clamps :gar-Bi

WHAT????? NO low voltage?:dontknow: at your pace you will need it for slow woodworkin!:gar-La; now where did I put the batteries for my low voltage tablesaw?:rotflm:
I need 480 three phase power to make up for my slow pace...40A...with periodic surge. Been staring at the ceiling for the past two hours to figure out how to switch three banks of lights AND hang the air cleaner AND leave enough room for the future dust collection pipe. I stink at spatial orientation.

BTW, I was thinking how seeing everyone's shop remodel has inspired me to try more things, like running conduit. And best of all, when you get stuck, help is only a posting away. :icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
Isn't that the guideline, that you can never have enough clamps :gar-Bi

I need 480 three phase power to make up for my slow pace...40A...with periodic surge. Been staring at the ceiling for the past two hours to figure out how to switch three banks of lights AND hang the air cleaner AND leave enough room for the future dust collection pipe. I stink at spatial orientation.

BTW, I was thinking how seeing everyone's shop remodel has inspired me to try more things, like running conduit. And best of all, when you get stuck, help is only a posting away. :icon_thum

I am glad you are taking the time to consider the proper placement of ceiling mounted utilities and devices. :icon_thum Ceiling space can get REALLY crowded REALLY fast. :gar-La; (picture below)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Great job! I also ended up with 2 240 outlets on separate 30 amp breakers for a Ceiling mounted heater and a 5hp planer. I am still adding as I go...Don't know if I'll ever get finished. Again, a well thought out, neat job!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good job! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
Do you have some tube shields for the lights over the TS? They're a must for me.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Nice job Bro',

Now with all that power you're going to need new/bigger machines. I think that it's time to call your favor into Scott and him drive you up to Grizzly with his flatbed so that can load it up with YOUR stuff this time.:rotflm:

ps. I hear that the girls have been asking about "The Bas" lately.

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Now I know why Progress Energy called me about hooking my generator into their lines.... they need more power in order to service THE BAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS