Possible repair option for loose hammer heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
While restoring some hammers I noticed that a few of the heads were a bit loose. Not loose enough to come off but jiggily. I figured either steaming or soaking the head in water would make the wood swell and fit tightly.

I decided to use electrolysis on the heads, so I just dipped the entire head in the solution. Sure enough, the water swelled the wood inside the hammer head and they don't jiggle at all now.

Of course they will shrink as the dry, but I'm willing to bet these old things were so dried out that even afte drying the head will hold firm. Anyway, something to think about.

Oh yeah and the electrolysis did an amazing job on the hammer heads. :icon_thum...I'll have to post pics

James Davis

New User
James Davis
The only problem with soaking the heads in water to swell them tight is that they swell so much that they crush the wood fibers and when they dry out they will be looser that they were before. I read this in one of Roy Underhill's books. Either The Woodwrights Shop or The Woodwright's Eclectic Workbook.

James

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Soaking in oil may be better because it would work more slowly and tend to remail longer.

Wedges are the best solution.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have soaked a couple in Watco Danish Oil last Summer. The heads tightened and haven't loosened yet, although they may in the future.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
On the farm, we kept the heads of all our hand tools (shovels, hoes, axes, hammers, etc) in buckets of used crankcase oil and wiped them with old diesel when ready to use.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My Dad and Grandpa would soak loose hammer heads in warm BLO (Boiled linseed oil) until it cooled, then wipe off excess and let dry. Seemed to work.

Garden/digging tools got the used motor oil treatment (just brushed on with a paint brush). Rarely had any rusty tools (and woe to the last user if any were dirty/rusted when Dad went to get one!!)

Go

DonDeJ

New User
Don
A mechanic friend of mine was told by one of his customers to soak them in antifreeze. I tried it with my carpenter hammer, and it lasts a couple of years or more before I have to soak it again. I've been doing that for eight or ten years with the same handle with no adverse effects.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
It's normal for handles to become loose in winter because of the low humidity. It is so dry here. All of the wood is drawn up. We have lots of wide gaps in our oak floors. I really enjoy my hixkory handle Bluegrass shop hammers. They often become loose in winter. With the hammer vertical, I tap the butt of the handle on the workbench to firmly seat the head, then clamp the hammer vertically in the vise and dribble Watco on the top end of the handle. The end grain usually soaks it up pretty good and will need several applications. After swelling the wood, you can also peck the wedges and tighten them some if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS