Porter-Cable 97366

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Does anyone have this sander? Or do you know anything about it? How aggressive can it be?

porter-cable-6-inch-variable-speed-random-orbit-sander-kit-dust-collection.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the 5" model.

All in all it is a decent sander. A bit heavy, but it does sand aggressively and has variable speed. I find it makes my hands tired as the barrel is pretty large and I have large hands so if you do not I would say it would make your hands tired quicker. The dust collection hose on mine did not stay on very well so I put a tywrap on it to hold it tighter. It comes with a little velcro thingy as well to tie the power cord and vacuum hose together that I consider a must. Otherwise the vacuum hose ridges are always getting caught and hanging up on the side of your bench.

Thinking about it, I would probably pass on this one and look at the Bosch sander that looks similar to the Festool Rotex. Pricewise the Bosch is comparable to the Porter Cable, seems to have better integrated dust collection than the PC, and does both rotary and ROS sanding. Just my .02

mcoston2

New User
michael
I have one and I don't even think about using it. I use my planer and palm sanders.:eusa_thin

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
What Travis said.
I tried out the PC at a WW'ng show and ended up with the Bosch. Very happy and fairly dust-free sanding with the Bosch. Need to create a vent on your vac to reduce the suction or they will hop around some. Both of these sanders are Hosses. They will give your upper body a workout in aggressive mode, take you for a dance and round off a corner in a blink of an eye. I'm using a 1/2 sheet Bosch sander on cases and square things and the 6" Bosch on round things.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Does anyone have this sander? Or do you know anything about it? How aggressive can it be?

porter-cable-6-inch-variable-speed-random-orbit-sander-kit-dust-collection.jpg

I do not have a sander like that but it looks like it would be good for roughing out chair seats. Used like a side grinder-------with 60 grit paper.

Jerry

waltv

New User
Walt
Jon,

I have one. When I first got it, I used it on the top of a red oak bookcase that had a little imperfection in the glue up...it dished it out with 120 grit so fast I couldn't believe it! It's aggressive!

All in all, it is a good sander, but for coarse sanding mostly. Stay off the cornners and be easy on the flats!

How I wish I had a drum sander!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors