porch ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'm getting ready to do a project that's been back burner for a while now and I have several questions for the group.
First the setting- the existing porch ceiling was done in drywall with a textured paint finish. No priming was done which is evident as when the textured paint comes down in sheets.

Goal- I'd like to do a T&G wood ceiling, species TBD ( that's one of the questions)

The questions-
Finish- painted or natural, I've seen both and painted seems more common/ traditional but depending on species I could go either way.
Any pros/cons other than appearance?

Species- I'm a fan of cypress especially with a natural finish. Probably wouldn't go that way if I'm going to paint. Any reason not just to go with pine if its painted? Other varieties to consider?

Sources- any rec's? What ever I use I'd like it to be milled and ready to go. T&G, beaded.

Thickness- It's a ceiling, what's typical for this kind of application?

Finish- should I seal the back before I put it up or just finish what's exposed?

Prep- The simplest thing would be to just strip the loose paint and go over the existing drywall, but that seems like a shortcut I may regret. Thoughts?

Orientation- long way or short way? Most I see are oriented the long way which would make sense if I've torn down the drywall. If I leave it, why not go short way?

Sorry for all the questions- I've finally gotten off the dime on this and want to be ready to roll when the weather gets nicer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Lots of valid questions from A-Z, but a few pics and perspectives of the entire porch along with the ceilings will get more useful answers.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve one more question - you say "Porch" so I envision the thing hangin off the front or back of the house - since you said it is drywall and painted - I am guessing this is "fully enclosed?" In shorter terms - is weather a factor?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
sorry- no pics. its a front porch. runs left to right across the full width of the house. brick house. painted trim. what else do you need to know?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Hank- the only dry wall part is the ceiling in question. The front wall of the house is unpainted brick with windows, shutters and door. Windows, shutters and door are all painted. Porch railings are painted.
The porch is open along the front and both ends. Front steps go up the center of the long side( front).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
DEFINATELY pull down the drywall!
I believe (and it is just that, a belief - no proof) that long-term you will have to pull the drywall anyway...

Plus, a beautiful wood ceiling (even if you must paint it) is better than drywall...

What would REALLY be cool is T&G Cypress, but I am not sure of the cost to do that!

Also, was thinking the same thing - long-way or short way... hmmm (I think is depends on the look you want)

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks Hank- you're confirming my biases!

I think once the drywall's down the option to go short way is gone unless I add some supports to nail to.
I'm assuming the rafters are running short way, so ceiling will have to run long.

More I think about it, it will probably be no more work to pull the drywall down than to scrape the paint off it. There's sure to be a couple spots that won't let go.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm getting ready to do a project that's been back burner for a while now and I have several questions for the group.
First the setting- the existing porch ceiling was done in drywall with a textured paint finish. No priming was done which is evident as when the textured paint comes down in sheets.

Goal- I'd like to do a T&G wood ceiling, species TBD ( that's one of the questions)

The questions-
Finish- painted or natural, I've seen both and painted seems more common/ traditional but depending on species I could go either way.
Any pros/cons other than appearance? I would go with paint - sky blue

Species- I'm a fan of cypress especially with a natural finish. Probably wouldn't go that way if I'm going to paint. Any reason not just to go with pine if its painted? Other varieties to consider? Painted pine - monty suppliers

Sources- any rec's? What ever I use I'd like it to be milled and ready to go. T&G, beaded.local lumberyard

Thickness- It's a ceiling, what's typical for this kind of application? 5/8" min

Finish- should I seal the back before I put it up or just finish what's exposed? yes seal the back

Prep- The simplest thing would be to just strip the loose paint and go over the existing drywall, but that seems like a shortcut I may regret. Thoughts?Nah

Orientation- long way or short way? Most I see are oriented the long way which would make sense if I've torn down the drywall. If I leave it, why not go short way?Remove the drywall and run the ceiling the long way

Sorry for all the questions- I've finally gotten off the dime on this and want to be ready to roll when the weather gets nicer.
It is already nice

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I went with the pine v groove boards from HD. I was going to paint, but I read a lot of recommendations against trying to seal the knots as they will eventually telegraph through the paint—especially lighter colors (which has happened with most of the white trim that installed after the ceiling).

I ended up staining the ceiling boards before nailing them to the ceiling. I had heard horror stories about the mess from others trying to stain the boards after putting up the boards. It probably took longer to finish on the ground, but every spot on the boards are covered and I didn’t get a sore neck and back from staining overhead.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil !

To satisfy Jeff and Bill's curiosity and help anyone envision the issue I went ahead and took a pic.
This is the mess I'm trying to remedy.
IMG_20523.jpg

Fortunately the rest of the house is put together to a higher standard.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil !

To satisfy Jeff and Bill's curiosity and help anyone envision the issue I went ahead and took a pic.
This is the mess I'm trying to remedy.
Fortunately the rest of the house is put together to a higher standard.

Not too sure, smallboat, but I remember a product called cement board designed for exterior use. Could your ceiling be that product?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Phil- I'll agree that today was nice- even wonderful. Tshirt runnning at 6am in January? I'll take it. But that stuff we've had over the past week or so. Not so nice. I'll wait until its consistently above freezing. You can call me a whimp, I don't mind.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Raymond- sure looks like drywall to me. check out the photo (it may not have been posted yet when you wrote) You can see the screw heads sunken into it. Not sure, but I don't think you'd get that with cement board.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pull down the drywall, go long ways, back prime the materials, 5/8" thick, local lumber yard, paint it either Sky Blue or a pale green this is a southern thing. Oh and just use pine it holds up well under those conditions. Good luck and pray for better weather.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would tear down existing drywall, then run straps (1 X4's) long way of porch, no more than 16" OC. Before you put first piece up, prime it S4S and first coat if with finish color (S4S.) This way when joints open and close due to humidity changes, the color will all be the same. Been there, done it, for a customer.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Check with Ivey prigden, he is a member, he mills cypress. Normally beautiful stuff. As far as t&g, talk to Scott Smith, or depending when you want to do this, we can run it thru my shop.
Absolutely RIP that ceiling down. If you want to run the long way,then put a layer of cdx ply on. That gives you nailing any place.
Pre finish every side

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I thought of Ivey if I go the cypress route, but I'm starting to lean towards the traditional paint. I'll need to look into comparative cost. Also need to check if Ivey can mill the T&G or if I'll need to get it milled elsewhere. Thanks for your offer, I'll let you know as I get closer.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Its a matter of preference. More maintenance with white.

Short or long way is determined by direction of ceiling joists unless you want to fir it out. Most porch ceiling joists are perpendicular to the house wall. Personally I think it looks better the short way.

IMO you can put over drywall as long as its dry and no mildew/mold. Saves a ton of work and clean up!! Been there/done that......Argument could be made for unequal moisture exposure, tho. I've done it interior with no problems.

Personally I wouldn't paint cypress it looks too nice. Although the pond cypress wood we have now is probably ok to paint, but not heart cypress (in which case you should have your head examined anyway :-D

Jeff

New User
Jeff
sorry- no pics. its a front porch. runs left to right across the full width of the house. brick house. painted trim. what else do you need to know?

Sorry, I didn't need to pry or ask for the obvious answers in pictures.

I thought maybe your porch runs from right to left and not left to right with ceiling joists perpendicular to that run so I wanted a picture just to be sure. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS