Poppy Table all done except ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren46

New User
Warren
The table is now all done except the top coat. Here are a few of the final steps.
With the spider dovetails dry fit to the legs the lower shelf is attached with five cleats and screws. The advantage of this approach is that there is no plug showing on the front of the legs.
IMG_1038.jpg

Using a half inch brad point bit to counter bore five screws. The holes through the spider are significantly oversize with respect to the screws in order to permit seasonal movement of the top.
IMG_1035.jpg

After positioning the leg assembly on the top, the screw locations is marked using the same bit as the through holes.
IMG_1036.jpg

To the drill press for the pilot hole. I do not want to take a chance to drill through the top.
IMG_1037.jpg

Five screws attach the top to the leg structure. After a final sanding with 220 grit I applied boiled linseed oil. I decided on linseed oil because I like the way it brings out the grain. I will let the linseed oil cure for a week and then apply a clear top coat. After the top coat has had a couple of weeks to get really hard I will polish the top to complete the table I had to try it out in the living room..
IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

I started this project as a skill builder. I figure I have about 40 hours in this table and great deal of fun. I did learn a lot and also gained confidence in what I can do.

The project looked pretty challenging when I started but I think most hobby woodworkers can do it if they take the time to do it right.

Thanks for looking.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: tell me more about the top

I seem to recall some earlier posts about this, but thought I'd reply and ask because I am too lazy to go look for those.

Nice job on the table - cool design and execution really. I have a hard enough time with 4 sided pieces, I'm not sure I am ready for odd numbers.

Tell me more about the top - clearly the grain continuity shows me that it is one piece (brilliant deduction eh?). Is the pattern routed out and then inlaid? Carved and left as grooves? Filled?

The design is subtle and appropriate - and I may have to consider a piece with odd numbers some day in the far off future.

Henry W

Warren46

New User
Warren
Re: tell me more about the top

I seem to recall some earlier posts about this, but thought I'd reply and ask because I am too lazy to go look for those.

The table is made from plans at this site http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/p...y-poppy-table/

The plans were orignially posted by Cyclopentadiene on this site some time ago. I felt the way you did about odd numbers of sides when I stated but it is not as hard as it sounds. Go for it.

Tell me more about the top - clearly the grain continuity shows me that it is one piece (brilliant deduction eh?). Is the pattern routed out and then inlaid? Carved and left as grooves? Filled?

the top is one piece -almost-. It is from a tree I cut in a neighbors yard when I lived in Maryland. I have several 19" boards from the butt log but the plan called for 19 and a half. I ripped the piece in half to accomodate my jointer and planer and then glued back together with a small grain matched piece to get the necessary width.

The pattern in the top is free hand routed using a 1/8 inch radius veining bit. If I were a true wood worker I would have carved the pattern but by the time I got to that point in the construction I was tired of hand work. Since I have never done any real carving I wimped out and just routed the pattern. No filler, just the grooves from the router.

The design is subtle and appropriate - and I may have to consider a piece with odd numbers some day in the far off future.

Henry W

Thanks to all who responded with the kind comments.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors