Plywood Work Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Geoff,

I'd agree that plywood is more stable than solids like 2 X 4s, but I think the stability of this bench comes from the joinery. If you do build this one, use loads of a good glue... screwing into the end grain of plywood or the edge of MDF doesn't give you a lot of strength... glue will.

Ray

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd think you'd be better off using 2 plies of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood on the top & inlay a piece of 1/4" tempered masonite that could be removed. Also, be sure to get the best grade of plywood you can find with no voids on the inner plies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
Are we talking about the legs or the top? I used the leg design and put on a hard maple top then put drawers between the legs.

Attachments

• Work Bench 5.jpg
    Work Bench 5.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 182

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I'd think you'd be better off using 2 plies of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood on the top & inlay a piece of 1/4" tempered masonite that could be removed. Also, be sure to get the best grade of plywood you can find with no voids on the inner plies.

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing with the top. Didn't understand the use of MDF. I also thought the drawer idea would be a good one.

T

toolferone

I like the design. In the work bench class I taught at WC we did a glue up like that on the legs, but used 1 x 4's instead. It goes fast and is strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS