Plywood recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'm not much of a plywood person; have used solid wood for all of my projects to date. However, it's time for me to "go over to the dark side".... and I could use some advice.

If you were going to obtain some plywood to have on hand for general shop use (jigs, fixtures, etc), what type of thickness would you buy?

I presume that it would be something like Baltic Birch in 3/4" or ????

Thx.

Scott

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
3/4" and flat for jigs. The better the quality the easier it is to make a jig. At least for me, with jigs, it's all about being absolutely accurate in the building. This is so much more frustrating with cheap plywood. The higher the quality the easier and faster the jigs go together.

However, here is a suggestion for jigs. Lowe's is always putting pieces of closet storage systems on clearance. I'm talking about the white melamine-covered MDF shelves, sides, etc. This stuff makes great jigs. It's cheap, dead flat, and glue can be easily removed. Every time I see a piece I grab it. I've made cut-off sleds, planer sleds, drum sander sleds, fences, etc. with it. For the thinner jig pieces, I like using the laminate flooring for all the reasons mentioned above. I frequently find partial boxes on clearance and a box lasts a long time. Just be sure and pre-drill.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I use 1/2 Baltic birch for sleds and jigs most of the time. I find 3/4 BB too heavy and thick for most things.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would go with both 1/2 and 3/4 BB plywood. I think you will find many fixtures and jigs need more then one type. Wurth Group (Poole Road) or The Hardwood Store.

Susan thanks for the suggestion...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I use lots of material for jigs. 3/4" plywood (BB or something without too many voids) is definitely among them, but for miter/ crosscut sleds, 1/2" is usually sufficient. As Robert said, 3/4" can be very heavy. I'm a big fan of melamine too, bought a sheet of it to build my outfeed table and I've used the leftovers to build a taper jig, drill press table etc. MDF makes great table saw Zero Clearance Inserts, and I've used 1/8" hardboard for ZCI for my router table. 1/4" plywood is often useful for router jigs, you don't need much to use a guide and with thicker material you lose routing depth.

So basically what I'm saying is that you'll probably need a mix of materials. Most of the time, my jig/ fixture material comes from leftover projects. Since you have a reasonable amount of storage in your shop (once you get your electrical cleaned up anyway....), you could just stock up and buy one sheet of everything (BB/ Melamine/ MDF in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4"). Or just do one shop project like building an assembly table. If you plan to build any tool stands, cabinets, sanding stations etc., 3/4" BB ply is hard to beat. Nobody ever bought 3/4" BB ply and said "Gee, I don't think I'll ever use that."

Jeff

New User
Jeff
3/4" and flat for jigs. The better the quality the easier it is to make a jig. At least for me, with jigs, it's all about being absolutely accurate in the building. This is so much more frustrating with cheap plywood. The higher the quality the easier and faster the jigs go together.

However, here is a suggestion for jigs. Lowe's is always putting pieces of closet storage systems on clearance. I'm talking about the white melamine-covered MDF shelves, sides, etc. This stuff makes great jigs. It's cheap, dead flat, and glue can be easily removed. Every time I see a piece I grab it. I've made cut-off sleds, planer sleds, drum sander sleds, fences, etc. with it. For the thinner jig pieces, I like using the laminate flooring for all the reasons mentioned above. I frequently find partial boxes on clearance and a box lasts a long time. Just be sure and pre-drill.

Useful information in all posts. Where do you find this melamine product at Lowe's? In the general lumber section or elsewhere? Are they 4x8 sheets or smaller? Do you rip/crosscut it with a general use blade or, say, an 80 tooth plywood blade to prevent chipping of the melamine? :help:

Thanks to all.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Useful information in all posts. Where do you find this melamine product at Lowe's? In the general lumber section or elsewhere? Are they 4x8 sheets or smaller? Do you rip/crosscut it with a general use blade or, say, an 80 tooth plywood blade to prevent chipping of the melamine?
The smaller pieces that are part of organizing systems are in the Shelving section. Same place where they have the wire closet systems. When on sale, the price per sq. ft. is roughly the same as buying a 4x8 sheet, but it's a little easier to carry :gar-Bi Full sheets of melamine are generally NOT in the lumber section. Instead, look where they sell paneling and molding (at the Lowe's this is usually at the back of the store).

As for cutting, definitely use a high tooth count. I have an 80T TCG plywood blade that does really well, but some masking tape, scoring with a utility knife and/ or using a router with flush trim bit is necessary to get it "perfect".

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Scott, if I had your machine shop (and knew how to use it!), all my jigs would be 1/8" steel or 1/4" aluminum. Jackson Int'l in F-V has some good ply too.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I think most everything has been covered, but I'll add my $0.02 worth. For "jigs" that ride on a flat surface, like a table saw, band saw, router table, etc., I use either 1/2" MDF or BB for the horizontal pieces (the ones that actually rest on a flat surface), and 3/4" BB or regular ply for the vertical pieces. For "fixtures" I generally stay w/ 3/4" BB or ply to provide a little more support, or rigidity.

Bill

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Scott,
If you're interested in Phenolic coated Finnish Birch Plywood, check Coble Trench and Safety for FinnForm. 4X8 3/4" for ~$125 when I checked in May. Super flat and tough.

3305 Anvil Road
Raleigh, North Carolina 27603
Toll-Free Number: (888) 587-3624
Phone Number: (919) 532-1500

(they also have locations in Greensboro and Charlotte)

This is the same material used in a lot of the Woodpecker jigs.

CDN_Maple

New User
ETN
The smaller pieces that are part of organizing systems are in the Shelving section. Same place where they have the wire closet systems. When on sale, the price per sq. ft. is roughly the same as buying a 4x8 sheet, but it's a little easier to carry :gar-Bi Full sheets of melamine are generally NOT in the lumber section. Instead, look where they sell paneling and molding (at the Lowe's this is usually at the back of the store).

As for cutting, definitely use a high tooth count. I have an 80T TCG plywood blade that does really well, but some masking tape, scoring with a utility knife and/ or using a router with flush trim bit is necessary to get it "perfect".

That will be something that I keep my eye out for. Thanks for the advice!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks all for the great feedback. I've got quite a few sheets of MDF in stock, so based upon the recommendations I'll add some BB in 1/2" and 3/4". I'll also keep my eye out for some of those Lowes Melamine deals, and learn more about the phenolic coated birch.

Thanks again.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS