Plunge router base sticking at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
i have a bosch plunge router and if i haven't used it for a while the first few times i plunge the router it takes quite a bit of pressure to get it to drop and when it does it goes flying all the way down, so i plunge it a few times to loosen it up before i ever start, but i was wondering what would i use to "grease" the springs, slides, or whatever it is? i've seen some plunge bases that slide like butter... what should i do to remedy this? thanks

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't have a Bosch but on my DeWalt, Hitachi, and Makita, I disassemble and wax the posts occasionally. Before I wax, I blow out all of any sawdust that may have accumulated in the post sleeve.

George

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Sounds like my neighbors' Makita. Took the sleeves/springs apart and spotted some wear on the top of one tube. Spring was catching on the tube. Repositioned the tube and the trouble went away. And yes, paste wax is good for sliding things.
Hope yours is easy too!
Joe

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Graphite works well too and won't attract grime and dust like oil or wax. I use a lot of graphite around the house and shop.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
When I bought my Dewalt plunge, the motor would also hang up in the plunge sleeve. I took it back to the DW service center and they gave me a new one. Every once in awhile I have the same issue. I just sprinkle a little talcum power on the motor and the sleeve of the base and it slides easily.

Wayne

M

McRabbet

I had a similar problem with the plunge base for my P-C router and I used Andy Granatelli's great invention, STP. It is available at your neighborhood auto parts store and it provides a very good lubricant for these parts. Worked very well and eliminated the tendency for any binding of the bushings on the plunge posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS