planning a new work shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

HERIJOBR

New User
RICK
My wifey is running me out of the basement so she gave me the go ahead to start my shop I'am not sure what size to go for and I will be working with a budget I know that I want an attic for storage maybe 12 foot high walls with a 8 foot celling on the inside and steps leading up to the attic from outside.. What would be a good size for a shop?:wsmile:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I would suggest 10' ceilings (9' at the minimum) or you will be wacking your lighting with boards constantly, not to mention you don't want your ambient air filter to be a head knocker. I have 10-1/2' ceilings and it is a very nice height, especially for vertical wood storage and good lighting.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I would want the steps on the inside because it will save steps and time going up to get what evev you need from up there. You can always use the space under the steps for storage as well. I would want at least 9' foot ceilings in the work area for reasons already mentioned. Also interior stairs, I would think would be safer because there would be one less door from the outside.

As far as size, that is up to you. Look at the size you have now and see is it large enough floor area wise. If floor space was large enough with spare area then you can figure from there. You know what tools you have and what will be done there which will leave you the best one to decide size.

Keep us posted as to your future shop

D.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would want the steps on the inside because it will save steps and time going up to get what evev you need from up there. You can always use the space under the steps for storage as well.

This takes up valuable floor space. I had it in my last garage and will not do it again. If you have plenty of shop space, then no problem.

I would try to figure how much room your tools take up and some work area then add some extra to that. I'm actually designing my next house now and my future walk out basement workshop is going to be 18 x 34 +/- with a 10' ceiling. For what I'm doing now and what I think I want to do in the future, this should be fine for me.

Red

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I would suggest 10' ceilings (9' at the minimum) or you will be wacking your lighting with boards constantly, not to mention you don't want your ambient air filter to be a head knocker. I have 10-1/2' ceilings and it is a very nice height, especially for vertical wood storage and good lighting.

I absolutely agree with this!!! I'm in a basement shop with 8' (or close to it) ceilings and I'm constantly banging stock into the joists or light fixtures etc... I would also LOVE to be able to do some vertical wood storage. If I were building a shop from scratch I'd personally aim for 10-12 foot ceilings.... Maybe even if I had to give up attic storage....

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

+1 on the 10' ceilings. I had 8' in my last shop, and I'm really glad I went to 10' in my current shop. Makes a lot of difference.

You've probably seen this thread, but just in case, you might want to take a look at the building process for MarkE's new shop. Lots of good ideas here.

When I designed my new shop, I started w/ a blank sheet of paper and just started placing tools where I thought I wanted them. I included all my current tools, plus any I knew I would be adding in the foreseeable future. Since the table saw is the heart of my shop, I began w/ it pretty much in the center, and worked my way out from there. When I had everything where I wanted it, I drew a box around it and that became the dimensions for my new shop. So instead of building a shop and then trying to fit a bunch of tools into it, I put a bunch of tools in a space (on paper) and then built a shop around them.

Since you're starting w/ a blank sheet of paper, don't forget things like wood storage, sharpening station, lots of wall space for hanging things and, if possible, a dedicated finishing area.

HTH, Bill

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
+1 Excellent idea. Give it a lot of thought and you will have the best shop out there.

Red

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You should read through the thread on my shop build as Bill suggested. Tons of good ideas there from lots of folks that have been through the process.

My shop size and location were dictated by county and HOA rules and regulations. The building ended up at ~24' x 26' outside. We decided to go with a 1.5 story to gain the extra space upstairs. Access to the second floor is by stairs on the outside rear of the building so as not to use up the floor space in the shop.

Ceiling height in the shop is 9' which seems ok so far. 10' may have been nice, but every foot adds a little more to the costs, and to the number of steps to get to the second floor.

My lights are plug ins hanging on short chains. I've already bumped them once or twice, so they will be raised up a little higher. The plan (eventually) is to run 6" pipe for the DC along the ceiling. Still have work out where to run the pipe and how to work it around the lighting.

We also had the building built on a crawl space instead of a concrete slab. My legs and feet thank me for that decision every day. I put in a few hours out in the garage on the concrete floors this past weekend and my legs were aching by the end of the day. I can easily work 8 hours straight on the wood floors with no problem.

Put in a good sized panel for your electric. A 200 amp panel only costs a few dollars more than 100 amp panel. Add lots of outlets evenly spaced around the room. I also had two 20 amp, four gang, 120 volt circuits and one 30 amp 240 volt circuit run to the center of the floor for the tablesaw and router table, etc.

After working in my garage last summer and winter, HVAC became a top priority. With that, insulation became a must. If you can't do both right away, I would insulate now and add HVAC later, if and when you feel you need it.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
My vote is to build the largest shop your budget will allow with the features you have in mind. Tall ceilings and good lighting and enough electrical and HVAC, etc. I thought when I built my house that the 25 x 26 garage would be more space than I ever thought I'd need. Boy, was I wrong. Someday, I will build my dream shop that will be at least 30x40. Is that overkill? Probably. But I want it to be my last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS