Planning a Greater Raleigh Spring Shop Crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Everyone:

I have been knocking this idea around for awhile and have brought it up in a couple of threads. I would like to have a shop crawl in the greater Raleigh area (Wake Forest, Cary, Durham, etc.) I think we can do about 5 shops in one crawl.

This is going to take a little planning, so I thought I would start now for a crawl this Spring. The crawl would be on a Saturday. I am willing to use my shop for one stop and Travis Porter is willing to be another stop. If you are willing to host another stop on the crawl post here and send me a PM. As we get closer I will try to gauge the number of participants for planning purposes.

I would like to talk with each hosting WW'er to discuss their shop, e.g., how long have you been WW'ing, previous shops, the evolution of your shop, what you like to do, and any special storage, jigs or fixtures you have developed. I will write it up and plan on making maps for everyone to get from one shop to another. I think pictures ahead of time ( and during) would be great, so I am willing to come to each shop ahead of time to take the shots.

I am open to suggestions. LOML wants to know what each shop is going to provide food and beverage wise. I told her no alcohol, but otherwise we are not a picky bunch. (Especially when there are tools around). I am ope to suggestions here too.

Lets do this! :icon_thum

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Doug, this is a terrific idea! I've been thinking about this as well, major kudos for taking the initiative.

I suggest one simple rule: If you want to see other people's shops, you have to show yours. Fair is fair :) For some odd reason, most people have an extremely modest view of their own workshops, and might be reluctant to host. If we're not careful, everyone is going to come away from the crawl with the idea the average shop is 1,800sq.ft., has a 20" planer and at least two band saws. Let's hope the desire to participate will help people overcome their feelings of inadequacy. I think every shop has something unique to offer, and let's face it: Seeing someone mill yet another 40ft log gets kind of boring after a while.

Also, knowing Southern hospitality, the shop crawl is likely to turn into an all-you-can-eat buffet-spanning-five-locations. Coffee/ sodas are fine of course, but maybe limit the food to a combined lunch at a local restaurant afterwards?

Anyway, sign me up to host. I may not have the largest shop or the biggest power tools, but _I_ have the coolest home-made rack for storing pliers.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
OK! We now have four shops for the tour!

Bas: I like the idea of lunch at a restaurant. BTW, my shop is only 250 Sqaure feet. So mine is smaller than yours. When your shop is small, you come up with lots of intersting storage ideas. Maybe people will find that intersting. I am running metal ducts for my cyclone right now using tubing I bought in Greensboro. It is reconfigurable! Thanks for offering your shop.

Depending on how the first one goes, I hope we can do others in the future.

Tom: I have seen pictures and the model of your shop but not the shop itself, so thanks for volunteering.

Doug

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Doug,

I too, like shops of all sizes, I worked in basement shops for years. Small shops are neat because space is limited, usually the have the best organization. I'm in Clayton, about 4 miles off of I-40 exit 312 and I offer to host if it's not too far out of the way. If it's not close enough to others maybe I can be involved on a different day and we can get shops from S.Raleigh, Garner, Clayton, Holly Springs, Fuquay, etc..

Jimmy:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Doug, do you have an aprroximate date? If late enough in the spring, I'd be willing to be one stop. It will always be a mess:biggrin:, but by then, people should be able to walk around.:laugh:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Sounds like a great idea ... depending on when, I may join the crawl but won't have much to show on that side of the state!

PS - If it happens and you want to sell stuff, just put little price tags on the equipment (I'll assume the NCWW discount is in play) :rolf:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Steve,

I'm with you, I need clean up time:eusa_whis, and the shop always seems to be under construction.

Jeremy,

Travis's shop is on the tour and he's always looking to upgrade, maybe price tags might be appropriate:lol:.

M

McRabbet

I would recommend that you restrict the tour to NCWW DQ'd members and that everyone be required to sign up in advance. No sense having someone in your shop who shouldn't be there seeing your castle.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I would recommend that you restrict the tour to NCWW DQ'd members and that everyone be required to sign up in advance. No sense having someone in your shop who shouldn't be there seeing your castle.

That idea sounds good to me Rob, I just figured that it would be the guys who are always online, which would DQ'd folks, but you're right, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Absolutely. No point in showing an opportunistic individual where to get "free" tools. The DQ vetting should help with that.

There is a long list of items to think about in the "necessary but not fun" category. For example, it's probably best to only allow the shop owner to operate any tools during the crawl. No children, or no children under X years of age and only one child per adult. Everyone encouraged to bring safety glasses. Label any equipment you bring. Etc. Not that we shouldn't do anything "hands-on", but it is probably a good baseline policy.

I've managed to chisel myself in the chin in the comfort and familiarity of my own shop, so I shudder to think what I could do with an electric sander in someone else's.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I hadn't thought of the DQ issue, but I agree that only DQ qualified members can attend. Safety wise I also agree, although I don't think there will be a lot of that, at least in my shop. :lol: Its too small with multiple people in it.

Doug

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm game. but it depends on work as usual. I work a lot of weekends but this time of year is slow and with the economy what it is its even slower! oh and um NO DROOLIN ON THE ARN!!!:rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great idea. I would be happy to open my shop up for a bunch of crawlin' folks. Probably would be best to include it in the southern tour of the area. Mine and Jimmy's could almost be a one stop visit as we're spittin' distance from each other. I wouldn't mind being on the front end of the tour, so there won't be much to compare to and my shop will make all others look professional by comparison :oops:

Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
If this first crawl goes well I would be glad to organize a southern one next. We could add Scotts to the list so that we can all see BIG IRON! 8-O

Doug

M

McRabbet

Great idea. I would be happy to open my shop up for a bunch of crawlin' folks. <gratuitous snip> Dave:)
Word of warning to all you potential crawlers:

[pie]Dave:)'s elves are armed to the teeth![/pie]:qright5::new_snipe

:qleft1::qright7:

:qshatter::violent5:

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I admit to being one of those individuals Bas is talking about. However, if down the road Fuquay is on the tour I would be willing to present my humble stable in order to see others.

tv

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
If this first crawl goes well I would be glad to organize a southern one next. We could add Scotts to the list so that we can all see BIG IRON! 8-O

Doug

Doug,

From what I gather, Scotts shop would be an all day event, or at least a half day event:lol:.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS