Planing old PT boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
I guess this is sort of woodworking.

Would there be any problem in removing the pressure treated decking boards that make up my front steps and run them through my planer (Dewalt 733) ? There about 5 years old and have been pressure washed every year and re-sealed with Cabots, but they're starting to look pretty bad. Instead of replacing, I thought I might be able to shave a 32nd off each one and brighten them up a bit.

Thanks for any feedback,

Jeremy

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm doing that right now with some redwood boards a lady gave me last week when she replaced the redwood with TL! We're running through the old DW just enough to brighten them. May build some adirondack chairs out of them or a swing or two. Goes without saying, "Just watch for nails!"

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
DANGER Will Robinson!!!!
You will generate a lot of dust when you plane it. Do you and your family want to be exposed to all of the stuff they put in that lumber? Probably not a good idea. Lot of work too! Deck brightener and a pressure washer would be safer.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, first thing I thought when I saw the thread was "Sure, if you like the hazard of breathing toxic chemicals, and creating a dust loaded with em." Five years ago, the PT wood was still using the ACQ (?) product, which was linked to brain damage including retardation in children. (the A stands for Arsenic)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Actually Pete, ACQ is the new treatment formula. It was CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate)and that contained arsenic that the Government is now trying to save us from. The ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) compounds are very high in copper that will corrode most fasteners. So either we die of alleged poisoning, or of a deck collapsing on us :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dave:)

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks Dave, yeah, the old stuff was Copper Chromated Arsenic... after too much time in the Army, my head swims in acronyms!:lol:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
You've been planing PT lumber again..haven't you.
Dave:)

nope, don't want to hit any more nails with my 20" blades! I have two sets ready to sharpen, and a third set in the machine, with nicks starting already:cry::BangHead:

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Well, looks like I'm going to replace the boards. I was aware of the hazards of the dust but wasn't sure if, over time, the chemicals would degrade enough that it wouldn't be so bad. I think I'm going to use some of the Trex decking boards this time, tired of the endless maintenance.

Thanks as always for the feedback gentlemen!

Jeremy

mgreene93

Mark
Corporate Member
I wouldn't want to breathe in all that toxic dust. Maybe hand planing or a cabinet scraper would be better than sanding, but that would be a lot of work.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
This had me worried, as I was sanding some PT lumber outdoors yesterday, with a gentle breeze to carry the dust away from me. :eusa_pray I was using a Sears belt sander with a dust bag on it. Then I remembered it was ACQ-treated lumber. :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
Whew, glad you decided to go with composite and not plane the PT lumber if it contained CCA. Check out this link and you'll see why it is so dangerous. I remembered reading about the cow incident years ago 8-O

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS