Piping in my HF Dust Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Although I have not tried fabricating DWV fittings myself, this video provides detailed instructions for DIY fittings. This appears to be a good way to save a few $$$.

DWV_Fittings.JPG

https://youtu.be/5TbXBlQjRl4?list=PL7NqHG_r5mkLeyWWE1qVmc8s_vkNQMasV

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Although I have not tried fabricating DWV fittings myself, this video provides detailed instructions for DIY fittings. This appears to be a good way to save a few $$$.

I haven't watched the video yet but on the subject of making your own fittings last night I tried the method of heating the pvc slightly and then using a hose clamp to mold the pvc to the blast gate and was amazed at how tight of a fit it gives, so much better than screws and duct tape. Just thought I would pass it along.
p_100504851.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
A few comments-

Though not as heavy and thick-walled as Sched 40, the pipe the guy in the video is using is thick-walled SDR35 pipe (usually blue/green) . If he had used thin wall S&D (ASTM 2729) (gray or white) it would have been easier to heat and form.

Another way to do this that can be a bit easier if you are dealing with 6", which, due to its size, can be a bit harder to heat evenly and form, is to mount the dies to your lathe. Make a cradle or frame to hold your heat gun or torch (be careful not to burn the pipe if using a torch!). Turn the lathe by hand or run it at the slowest possible speed when heating the pipe. Once the pipe starts to get soft ("plastic") feed the tailstock (fitted with a live center) to force the pipe in to or over the die.

I heat formed fittings and used spare pipe bell ends for all my flex fittings. I make mine a bit longer than those made buy the guy in the video so they are easier to grab. Also, so I am not unnecessarily reducing the I.D. of the flex, I make the fittings a bit larger so the flex with fit inside.

(These old pics were taken 11 years ago- now all my homemade blast gates have been converted to pneumatic autogates and are located below the floor or behind a knee wall.)

P3070161.JPG

P3070165.JPG

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan, what supplier do you use for pneumatic blast gates? Do they run on compressed air?

There are a couple posts on the forum from some years ago that describe what I did. First I built my own blast gates, then later converted them to autogates with the addition of pneumatic cylinders, solenoid air valves, and current sensor switches that I sourced mainly from Ebay.

Blast_Gate_Article1.jpg

Blast_Gate-exploded-C.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

P10100438.JPG

P3080015.JPG

P4280022.JPG

P4280025.JPG

P50400021.JPG

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Just my 2 cents here....yes I would definetly increase planer to 4".....Woodcraft carries a fitting that connects to PVC....and I like the shop made blast gates..they seem to stay much cleaner. Stal I put an adapter on my grizzly taking the 5" to ^' right at the machine and ran 6" line across the shop with 4" drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS