pictures of my recent bench build 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Mike, thanks for your wip pictures. I am thinking about a very similar bench build. The location for the bench will have limitations on depth. I was going to go with 20" depth (based on Chris Schwarz suggestion for minimum depth. By eyeball, yours looks perfectly sized for me. What are the dimensions of your bench top? I apologize if you have described the dimensions before - I couldn't find that.
Thanks

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
18 wide x 72 long x 3 inches thick

out of curiosity, why not wider? Mine is about 30" and I couldn't imagine using one less than 24". Sure I can't comfortably reach across it for any planing but for supporting big panels the width has been helpful.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My shop is small, I make small things, I don't have room for a larger bench and I don't need it to be larger.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine is also only about 18" wide. Maybe 17-1/2" truly. This was mainly because the tree was only so big across that it was cut from. But I find it to be a very good working width. I don't lose things on the other side of the bench and I don't have room for it except against a wall, so I can't walk all the way around it. It works well for me.

I have a slightly larger assembly table for working with panels.

cpw

New User
Charles
Schwarz on benchtop width:

The width is a different matter. You can have a bench that is too wide for a one-person shop. I’ve worked on benches that are 36″ wide and they have downsides. For starters, if you park them against the wall you’ll have to stretch to reach the tools hanging on the wall. If you assemble projects on your bench, you will find yourself dancing around it a lot more than you should.

But there’s more. Cabinetwork is sized in standard chunks. These sizes come from the human body; they aren’t arbitrary. A kitchen’s base cabinet is generally 24″ deep and 34-1/2″ high. This is important for a couple reasons. First: It means you don’t really need a bench that’s much more than 24″ deep to build cabinets. With that 24″ depth, you actually get some advantages, including the fact that you can clamp the cabinet to your bench from as many as three sides of your bench. That’s dang handy. A deep bench allows you to clamp your cabinets to the bench on only two sides (with a couple exceptions). Here’s the other thing to keep in mind: Kitchen cabinets are themselves a highly studied work surface. There’s a good reason that kitchen cabinets are 24″ deep. And it’s the same reason you don’t want your workbench much deeper either.

Now I’m not going to argue with you if you build really big stuff or have a bench that you share with another woodworker facing you; you might need more depth. But if you are like the rest of us, a 24″-deep bench is a powerful and right-sized tool.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/rules_for_workbenches

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If I were rebuilding my workbench today, I would make it a MINIMUM of 28" deep, maybe even 30" Just my personal thoughts based on using my bench to build outdoor furniture.

:notworthy:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The bench I used for several years before and during the time I built my own bench was only 11 inches wide.

This thing feels like a battleship to me. I barely have room to move around it. I couldn't imagine working on anything bigger.

Now, IF i ever got a huge shop like some people I know then ... maybe a tiny bit bigger.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Not sure how many books it takes to build a bench but I don't agree w/ Chris' logic here. Much of this doesn't make sense:

Schwarz on benchtop width:

But there’s more. Cabinetwork is sized in standard chunks. These sizes come from the human body; they aren’t arbitrary. A kitchen’s base cabinet is generally 24″ deep and 34-1/2″ high.

Yes. I agree.

This is important for a couple reasons. First: It means you don’t really need a bench that’s much more than 24″ deep to build cabinets. With that 24″ depth, you actually get some advantages, including the fact that you can clamp the cabinet to your bench from as many as three sides of your bench. That’s dang handy. A deep bench allows you to clamp your cabinets to the bench on only two sides (with a couple exceptions).

That makes no sense. Which sides are not clampable on a larger bench?

Here’s the other thing to keep in mind: Kitchen cabinets are themselves a highly studied work surface. There’s a good reason that kitchen cabinets are 24″ deep. And it’s the same reason you don’t want your workbench much deeper either.

Actually their depths are not related. Cabinet depth is dictated by storage (dishes, glasses, etc.) just like a dresser or any other storage unit, not by work surface. In fact, plenty of kitchen counters extend beyond the cabinet base b/c the larger surface is handy. In Mike's case, he doesn't need a wider bench b/c he's not building cabinets. Plus floor space is also an issue. To me, that makes sense. I figured Mike had a good reason for it and was just curious.

Sorry I've just grown weary of how Chris' thoughts and ideas are becoming some type of standard of practice when in reality they are just a good starting point -sort of like the thread on older style plans.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Sorry I've just grown weary of how Chris' thoughts and ideas are becoming some type of standard of practice when in reality they are just a good starting point -sort of like the thread on older style plans.

I agree and he has stated as much that his books are a starting point, not to be taken as gospel. Do what works for you. He says this many times, I think he is even sick of being quoted... If you read closely and have followed him over the years you know he has changed and evolved as new information comes to light and experience teaches old points to be driven in or thrown out.

I did not follow any plans exactly, I did not invent the bench afresh, but I used the principles I read together with my own expeience and needs to create a tool to get my work done.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:eusa_clapIt's a fine looking bench, and suited particularly to your work. That's all that matters. Good job!!

Michael S.

New User
Mike
Awesome looking bench Mike! I too am working on a bench... 72 x 24 with a tool tray... Typical european bench. Been "working" on it for 6 months now... Trestles are done, and I hope to have the top glued up within the next couple of weeks. It always takes (me) longer than originally estimated! :)

Anything you would change if you had it to do over?

Mike

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Not sure how many books it takes to build a bench but I don't agree w/ Chris' logic here. Much of this doesn't make sense:

Yes. I agree.

Actually their depths are not related. Cabinet depth is dictated by storage (dishes, glasses, etc.) just like a dresser or any other storage unit, not by work surface. In fact, plenty of kitchen counters extend beyond the cabinet base b/c the larger surface is handy. In Mike's case, he doesn't need a wider bench b/c he's not building cabinets. Plus floor space is also an issue. To me, that makes sense. I figured Mike had a good reason for it and was just curious.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when Schwartz was a spokesman for the 30" wide Lie-Nielsen bench?

NTCook

New User
Nick

Imagine clamping a piece of plywood down to the top of your bench. Assuming the plywood is much shorter than your bench is long you can only clamp it on 3 sides. Begin to widen the bench, keeping the plywood the same width and soon you will lose the third side also (unless you have some freakish long reach clamps).

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Imagine clamping a piece of plywood down to the top of your bench. Assuming the plywood is much shorter than your bench is long you can only clamp it on 3 sides. Begin to widen the bench, keeping the plywood the same width and soon you will lose the third side also (unless you have some freakish long reach clamps).

this is what dog holes and hold downs are for -carefully placed based on the reach of the hold down allows you to clamp multiple widths across your bench. What if your bench is too narrow for the panel? can't clamp it down on one side due to the overhang. Seems more limited to me. Again, it's not a very well thought out argument b/c he assumes you'll never build anything wider. If a narrow bench fits your needs then by all means, but certainly don't make one b/c Chris said a bigger one wouldn't work (when previously he said it would....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS