pictures of my recent bench build 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTCook

New User
Nick
I don't think he was suggesting we all build benches good for making cabinetry only, merely using an example to show how a properly sized bench can be used in an additional way. At the end of the quoted text he said to go bigger if it suits your needs. Also, the rest of the article goes on to explain his reasoning behind the example that was quoted here and it all basically boils down to sizing the bench to you and your expected work. I don't see anywhere that he says a wider bench simply will not work (although I admit I didn't read every single word of the article), just that you have to consider the downsides of large benches and if they are worth it for your needs.

I'm glad I read what I did since I'm about to start on bench #2 because... haha, #1 turned out to be way too wide for me.:rolleyes: Maybe I'm biased.:)

Justin Sickles

New User
Justin
Mike, I'd be interested in learning more about the ratchet/release system you incorporated in your leg vise - where might I get more information/plans on that? Thanks in advance!

*Justin

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Justin,

Like most things I just made it. no plans.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

But, I can't take the time to draw plans.

It is really simple and only takes a few hours to make.

Will make additional photos of something is not clear.

The only material is a piece of 1" x 1/8" bar stock for the slide, a few bolts, and a spring. The vertical piece is 5/8" bar stock but could be wood or 1/4 inch round steel or aluminum stock.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I'm glad I read what I did since I'm about to start on bench #2 because... haha, #1 turned out to be way too wide for me.:rolleyes: Maybe I'm biased.:)

but I'm guessing you already knew that, based on your experience, no?

My bench is ~ 30" wide and I never really considered making one any less wide, perhaps taller, but the width I like -based on what I build -dressers, cabinets, and tables. Never struggled clamping stuff that was considerably less than my bench width. Since Mike (and perhaps you) wanted a more narrow bench, I was curious as to why. Figured there was some actual logic (experience) behind it rather than a guy selling a book or two or three..... Sorry to hijack this thread so I'll stop here.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No need to stop nor apologise, I think this line of questioning and thinking adds to the thread. A very important consideration in bench design.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
but... doesn't it all go back to "What do you intend to do / make?"

if you make kitchen cabinets, I suggest your preferred bench may be the floor or a large assembly table as you will likely not be doing a lot of "Hand-tool" woodworking.

On the other hand if you make small boxes etc. arguably 16-24" would be sufficient...

On the third hand, I will side with Schwarz on the narrow bench style if you are making mostly by hand and want to use the bench as an additional "hand" to hold your work.

there is a picture (I cannot find it right now) where he takes a carcass and slips it over the end of his bench to plane the side or top after assembly. The argument being that you couldn't do that on a 30"+ wide bench. The counter argument - how often would you need to do that?

I currently have a 36" wide bench - 12"+ of that "Holds stuff" sometimes I need to move it out of the way for what I am working on...

So, I know I could work on a narrower bench!

(Now what to do with all that $h|t (acquired items over a lifetime) that reside on the lower shelf under the 36" bench!) :embaresse

Justin Sickles

New User
Justin
Thanks. It intrigued me as a cost-effective clamping solution as part of a wall-to-wall workbench/cabinet - two or three along the front face. I'll ping you if I have more questions about it!

*Justin

Justin,

Like most things I just made it. no plans.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

But, I can't take the time to draw plans.

It is really simple and only takes a few hours to make.

Will make additional photos of something is not clear.

The only material is a piece of 1" x 1/8" bar stock for the slide, a few bolts, and a spring. The vertical piece is 5/8" bar stock but could be wood or 1/4 inch round steel or aluminum stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS