Picture Framing

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Somewhat woodworking related....

I have built many picture frames since retiring in 2005! As a rule, I would be building frames sized to accommodate standard print sizes (5x7, 8x10 etc.) And off the shelf mat boards.

I have a picture frame project coming up where the off the shelf pre cut mat board won't work due to oddball picture sizing)

Is there anyone out there that cut their own mats and if so, what brand of cutting tool would you recommend? (Not looking to spend a lot on a high end framer shops tool.)

Thanks,

Wayne

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Always used the Dexter in the past. It’s not that pricey and straightforward to use. Hand holding at a consistent bevel might be challenging if you go the box cutter route.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wayne - I'm in Raleigh (near Cary Crossroads), and we have a full-size professional matte (sp?) cutter; my in-laws owned an art shop and did custom framing. You're welcome to borrow it and figure it out. Spouse knows how to use it, but you'll have to do the math to determine opening sizes etc, as I know she won't want to try to remember all that. 'It's so easy I could do it', (even though I never have).
It's large enough to handle larger print sizes, so you'll need a large working surface. Base is at least 4 feet long (as I recall).

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
However, if I only have one mat to cut I would just use a box cutter with a razor blade. That's how we cut our mats in college art class. We used a steel ruler clamped in place and then held the cutter at a consistent angle. You need to mark (very lightly) the corners so you know where to start and stop.
You can make a very nice matt cutter with a block of wood and a couple screws to hold the box cutter blade.
Mark the opening on the back of the matt board and cut with the angle out towards the edge of the board.
A large drywall aluminum square is idea to guide the block or you can make a nice wood square.

mpeele

michael
User
I have matts cut at Jerry's Artarama on Wake forest road in Raleigh. You buy a sheet of matt board and they would cut it. I have taken pices back and they would cut them.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The local craft stores will cut them. Reasonable prices. Especially if you just need one once in a blue moon. They also have a variety of matt boards.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors