Photos bring back memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was at my Mothers place I found some old Polaroids of things I made in the 70s. I was in my twenties at the time and had very little wood working experience and NO training. (much like now!!)

Anyway, looking back I think I did some pretty amazing work for a Bama redneck kid.

WheelB1.jpg

cart11.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality, the pictures are nearly thirty years old and not the best even then.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
very nice. Do you or your mother still have the original items?
rita541

My Mother passed away about a month ago. Her husband (deceased 3 years ago) owned the company I worked for while making these.

We made 100 of the wheel barrows for Neiman-Marcus. Only two of the shrimp carts were ever completed. I made all of the parts and finished both prototypes, some of the parts were farmed out for the production run.

I now have one of the wheel barrows and a few odd parts of the cart.

The wheelbarrow is a reproduction of an 1880s original. I designed and built the cart and made all the forms and jigs.

All the bent wood was laminated white oak strips.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Mike,

You had told me about building these. Now that I see the pictures I'm even more impressed.

Ain't it wonderment what you had time to do when you only had 3 channels on the TV? Won't mention the other stuff we didn't have back then.

Rick Doby

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Rick, I still have only three channels on my TV. :rotflm:

But, now I work a full time job, drive two and a half hours a day to get there and back, do a little work around the farm and try to help with the kids now and then.

All that doesn't leave much time for WWing. :nah:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am impressed Mike----------you have been goldbricking on us. Those pieces take some craftsmanship to do. I am sure those skills are still with you. I will be looking for some comparable projects from you in the future.

Jerry

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mike,

That is truely impressive. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :notworthy: Bent lamination is the one thing I want to learn more than anything else. When I saw those wheels, my jaw hit the floor. You are a true craftsman my friend. :notworthy:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

sawduster

New User
Robert
Having seen some of your other work in person ( I still talk about that rocking horse ! ) I'm not at all surprised to find out you've been a natural from an early age

.....not surprised but most definitely impressed :icon_thum :icon_thum

You rock bro :eusa_clap

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
hmmmmmmm...I love the shrimp cart. Do you have plans or patterns for it. Wonder if I could get Dick to make me one. Don't know what I would use it for but itis so pretty.
rita

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
very nice indeed~
that shrimp cart is a little imagination away from the tea cart I've always wanted to make....:widea:

mother and one sister still have things I've made over the years. loml saw the jewelry chest I made my sister many years ago out of one piece of willow one of the last times we were at her home. somehow those two seem to keep/use/cherish the things they are given. maybe that's why I always seem to make them things and usually buy everyone else something.

DavidF

New User
David
Both of these are outstanding Mike. The shrimp cart is pretty as Rita said. Lovely form AND Function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS