Pen Cornucopia/My first attempt at commerce :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Well, I finally compiled a number of pens that I feel confident to offer to the outside world :) After all, my wife likes them, so they've passed a stringent test of quality :)

I have some friends who have taken upon a dream and created their own vineyard. The grapes have been planted for 4-5 years now and they are producing some excellent AWARD WINNING NC wines! The house they use for wine tasting has been in the family for over 100 years and is the house that Tim, who owns the vineyard with his wife Brenda, grew up in. Of important notice, they have some beautiful oak trees near the house that were planted around the same time the house was built. I can't imagine the board feet available, but I assure you that Tim does not like to hear me talk in those terms! :)

Anyway, they are taking in some pieces from artists around the Mt. Airy/W-S area and I was fortunate to have them offer to sell some pens of my pens. I've been working over the past month or so to create the following collection, which are now on display in their tasting room. There is another woodworker who has some very nice pieces on display there who, apparently, lives just down the road. He is providing some really nice bottle stoppers and a few other things, such as vessels, framed mirror, etc. (I am bringing this up just to show appreciation for the Daub's help for some local artists!)

So, here is what I took to Flint Hill Vineyards, today. I am anxious to see how this works out as it will determine whether or not I continue to pursue the 'pen market' :-?

September_2006_051.jpg

September_2006_057.jpg

...there are a few 'closer up' shots of the same pens in my gallery...thx for looking.

Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice pens, the third from the left is my favorite :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Your display is also well done and gives a look of professionalism to everything. Better get to makin' some more, I don't see those lasting long.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Very nice indeed! If I had to choose a fav it would be 2nd from the right. There all nice though - kinda hard to choose...

What's the smallest (in length) blank size you can use?

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Thanks, all...I forgot to add what each one is...soooooo....
L -> R
Blue Dyed Tiger Maple, Padouk, Olivewood, Cocobola, Corn Cob, Tiger Maple, Purple Heart, Sweetgum(from my backyard!!! :)), Tulipwood.

Lying flat is a Wenge/Cherry pen, Tiger Maple and Cherry/Maple/Wenge combo pen.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
...hmmm...not sure what the length can be...I typically take the two brass tubes used for top & bottom and measure from those....

thx!!!
Chris

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
great job,,I bet they will sell fast. Its awesome to see cooperation among fellow artist (growing wine is an art in itself) I'm sure it will be a wonderful beginning for your pen turning friend. Have a blessed day.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice work Chris. I like the one best that has the different color upper barrel. I think I'll steal that design. Ummm.. Borrow.. I mean borrow that design..

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:oops::oops::oops: Alright, since you commented on that one, I'll have to come clean...that was a design opportunity that was given to me by a dull skew chisel :crybaby2::rolf: The pen was supposed to be all cherry burl. Things got interesting when I caught the chisel and suddenly, the shop light shone in my eye as it reflected off of the brass tube.:eusa_doh::eusa_doh: Well, there was a little cherry leftover from my blank, so I figured I could add a wenge top, and then add the cherry band for continuity.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.:eusa_danc I appreciate it (and please be sure to throw constructive criticism my way as it is the only way to get better!!!):eusa_clap

Chris

Nice work Chris. I like the one best that has the different color upper barrel. I think I'll steal that design. Ummm.. Borrow.. I mean borrow that design..

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
You like those sierras? I've been threatening myself to get some supplies to make some. I really like those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS