PC 7518 Router Speed Control - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
I just bought a used PC7518 router for table use. The speed control works fine at all other speed settings except the lowest setting- 10,000 rpm. At this setting, the router speed goes up and down and is not steady. What could be the cause of this? May be the brushes? :-x Thanks for any inputs.

Qui

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Qui,

I don't have experience with that particular router but it probably has a varriable resistor connected to the thumbwheel that controls the speed. If this is the case, it works a lot like a dimmer switch for lights. These things get a bit of contact contamination or a worn spot on the resistive pad and you will likely get the symptoms your describe.

I'd probably bring the router to a PC authorized repair place. Sounds like a fairly easy fix.

Ray

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
good info Ray, If the parts not that complicated you could always see if you could replace it, If I can do work on my tools I like to do it so that I am more familiar with its workings. And trust me sometimes I have had to bag up the problem and send it off the get it fixed after I realized too late I was over my head. But I always learn something in the process. If you have the owners manual on it look at the parts list and see if you could handle the job. I'm sure there are people here that would run you through it that are bottomless pits of knowledge like Ray.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IMO, the speed control itself is going to need to be replaced. It will be a self contained unit, and is normally pretty easy to replace. I had to replace the one on my DW625, and it was about $40 including shipping and took a total of 5 minutes to replace it. Many times the manufacturer will have more than one version of the same model so verify what you have, pull the parts diagrams/manual down, and order it.

I have the 7518 as well, and the speed control is in the top of the unit and it will be very easy to get to.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thank you all for the valuable info. I will do some more research on this and have the router fixed. By the way I have a Freud 2000 3 1/4 HP router. The speed control module is dead. I just disconnected it, and use the router with a single fixed speed. I can also use it with a separate speed controller to achieve variable speed. So far it is working fine.

Regards.

Qui

Monty

New User
Monty
hmmm.... I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use an external "speed controller" with a router that has soft start and electronic variable speed. I forget the technical reason but it has to do with the electronics not working properly with those switches.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just for clarification! The 2 PC 7518s that I have do not use a thumbwheel. It has a five position switch.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
From another forum, I remember this being a common problem on this series of PC routers. Not a difficult repair. DeWalt/PC store on Capital Blvd in Raleigh should stock the part. I don't know if there is a DeWalt/PC repair center in GSO. Will be over on Capital on Monday and could pick up part if necessary.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks again for all great ideas. Greensboro does have a service center on High Point Road. I will check with them about the part.

Monty, on the Freud router I have, I have not had any problems to use a external speed controller. I am guessing that the soft start circuit is in the speed control module for that router. Since I bypass the control module, the router motor also lost its soft start feature and works like a regular router motor.

Have a nice day.

Qui

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks again for all great ideas. Greensboro does have a service center on High Point Road. I will check with them about the part.

Monty, on the Freud router I have, I have not had any problems to use a external speed controller. I am guessing that the soft start circuit is in the speed control module for that router. Since I bypass the control module, the router motor also lost its soft start feature and works like a regular router motor.

Have a nice day.

Qui
If you go to PC web site and look up this router, you will find only difference between VS and fixed is speed controler. Armature, field, brushes etc are the same on both models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS