Paraffin or Beeswax? Which one for drawer slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have some drawers made of Baltic Birch with a 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep dado in the sides that will slide on 1/2" by 1/4" rails in the side of the case. I realize that both paraffin and beeswax will probably work to lubricate the action, but was wondering if one might work better than the other. I have both on hand so I can use either. Anybody have any experience with both and can recommend one over the other?

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Bees wax is actually fairly sticky and not very slick or slippery. I always use paraffin or a couple of coats of Johnson Paste Wax.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
<<<< I realize that both paraffin and beeswax will probably work to lubricate the action,

Actually, beeswax is not very slippery. It's sort of gummy and sticky. I generally use Johnson wax which works well. Paraffin is also not as slippery as the Johnson Wax.

Another note. I recommend using solid hardwood for the slides. Solid wood holds up better than plywood and will not wear..

bbrown

New User
Bill
I also see a product which is called something like "SlipEase" at Woodcraft. That might be another option.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Simplest solution is Gulf Canning Wax, found in your grocery canning supplies. It is paraffin and works very well. If you want it to penetrate the wood more, just melt some in some mineral spirits over very low heat.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Prefer gulf canning wax dissolved in a little mineral spirits like McRabbet mentioned over silicon based waxes. Silicon and wood finishes don't go well together at all (fish eye). I try and keep silicon out of the wood shop all together.

bguil

New User
beeg
a professional turner/restorer I knew always swore by the use of pecan for steady rests; can't remember if it was the wood itself that was more slick or that it held wax better. perhaps a choice for the runners?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Runners are hard maple which should be fairly smooth and hold up well. Now I have to decide whether to use Johnson's Paste wax or the Gulf Paraffin sticks that I have. No clear winner, but looks like Bees Wax is out.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Good ol' Johnson's Paste wax. How can you run a shop without it? I use it to make things slide, protect machine tables etc.

Pop

Jeff

New User
Jeff
a professional turner/restorer I knew always swore by the use of pecan for steady rests; can't remember if it was the wood itself that was more slick or that it held wax better. perhaps a choice for the runners?

For information: Pecan is essentially a type of hickory and, yes, it's hard. Pecan lumber is often found in the hickory lumber bins without being distinguished.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ended up using some Staples brand paste wax. Carnuba and others with no silicone. It's working well. Some other Staples, not the office supplies store, think I got it at an auto supply place but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS