Pair of Deck Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Finished these off this weekend, a pair tables for the deck. A couple of firsts.

-A semi matching pair of tables instead of just one.

-First attempt a "Through Tenons" on legs

-Second table (smaller one) was first use of newtome Drum Sander

I also experimented with different woods. Bigger Table was SYP 2X4's.
Second, with Poplar. Also tried different staining techniques.

I felt I could freewheel a bit, since these were going to be used outdoors. I tried to go with the "Rustic" Pottery Barn look. The bigger table was a little too rustic, if you catch my drift. But pleased with the second smaller table. I learned a couple of things from the first.

Learned a few things along the way. It was a very helpful exercise which will help me with future projects!

Thanks for Looking!
Deck_Table1.JPG

Top Drum Sanded:
Deck_Table_3.JPG

Glennbear

Glenn
Good looking tables, what kind of shiny finish did you use in anticipation of the UV beating they are going to take ? The splayed leg design should resist the usual tendency of outdoor furniture to go skidding across the deck when it gets a little breezy. :wsmile:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Good looking tables, what kind of shiny finish did you use in anticipation of the UV beating they are going to take ? The splayed leg design should resist the usual tendency of outdoor furniture to go skidding across the deck when it gets a little breezy. :wsmile:

Canuck had recommended I use Cabot's Australian Timber Oil, but could not find here locally. So I used Cabot's Spar Varnish (Semi-G). Was a joy to apply, thick but not to thick and smooth.

Thanks for kind words!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Tables look pretty slick there, Matt!

I really like the way you did the splayed legs.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum The table look rugged and like they will serve for quite awhile!:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Canuck had recommended I use Cabot's Australian Timber Oil, but could not find here locally. So I used Cabot's Spar Varnish (Semi-G). Was a joy to apply, thick but not to thick and smooth.

Thanks for kind words!

Lowes on Walnut street has the Timber Oil....

Nice tables :thumbs_up I saw them as WIP.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Tables look pretty slick there, Matt!

I really like the way you did the splayed legs.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum The table look rugged and like they will serve for quite awhile!:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

Lowes on Walnut street has the Timber Oil....

Nice tables :thumbs_up I saw them as WIP.

Wayne, Scott,

Thanks!

Funny that's where I bought the Spar, didn't see the Aussie. Thanks for that tidbit

Matt

sawduster

New User
Robert
Well done bro :eusa_clap
i hope I can build something like that some day :eusa_pray

Reggie turned me on to the timber oil when I got my first rocker from him. I found it at Lowes as well and use it quite a bit now

Good job ! :icon_thum

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Real nice Matt. Well done. The thru tenons look excellent.
ken

Great job on the tables!!!!!Looks like it took some time.

Well done bro :eusa_clap
i hope I can build something like that some day :eusa_pray

Reggie turned me on to the timber oil when I got my first rocker from him. I found it at Lowes as well and use it quite a bit now

Good job ! :icon_thum

Thanks Guys for all the kind words. I really enjoyed working on this project and the LOML likes em too!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Hey nice work Matt! When's the cookout to put them to use? (look like good brewsky holders -lol)

Larry,

Thanks, I finally had to take a break from tool buying, and decided to build something :gar-Bi. I finally realized that its all about the tools ! :rolf:.

Soon as things slow down for you, we can have a wee BBQ!

Talk Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS