Paint suggestions for vinyl shutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
After ten years, the vinyl shutters have to be repainted or replaced. I've heard that there is a type of paint specifically formulated for vinyl. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I know the auto body shop supply has special paint for the vinyl parts of a car. You may check there.

Also one of the rattle can paint brands has a special paint for "plastics".
Check the label to see what they say about vinyl.

When I was in the sign business I used vinyl screen printing ink on all kinds of plastics and it worked great on some things and sorta ok on others. You would have to find an industrial sign supply wholesaler to get that. Tubelight used to be one of the big ones. It's been 20 years so I don't know who's out there now.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
the automotive-type plastic paints would probably be your best bet, they are designed to accomodate a whole lot more movement than what you will find in regular retail stores, and some of the auto-paint suppliers may be able to make some rattle-cans for you in the color you need. They can also put special flex agents in regular automotive paints, too.

just don't forget to use a quality plastic primer.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have used the rattle can of Fusion on outdoor furniture with great results.

dpanda

New User
Dan
Outdoor latex paint works fine on plastic shutters. I have painted the shutters at 2 different houses I have lived at. The color will hold up better than the original shutters. The latex will expand with the shutters.
My shutters have been the raised panel type, so they're easy to paint. It doesn't take long to brush on a couple of coats.
Dan

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
If you decide to replace the shutters, make sure you get paintable shutters. Not all of them are paintable. I have painted dozens of them with Sherwin Williams exterior latex. Properly prepared (cleaned and good primer), high quality latex will hold up great.

If I remeber right, the colored (green/burgandy) shutters from the borgs are not paintable. The grey ones are, just read the package. If you decide to just paint over what you have, make sure you use something better than borg brand paint. As with most things from the borg (think plywood), there are better places to buy most supplies. Behr aint all it's cracked up to be IMHO.

Good luck.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Before you try painting, try Armour All, the kind you use on your car dash, etc. It works wonders to restore original color.
Jim in Mayberry

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Hey WoodArtz,
you must have been reading my mind. My shutters are in the same shape as yours - thanks for asking the question! Want to have a shutter painting party? :gar-La;

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS