PA System and other matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I sent the following info to all BoD members as a reply to the "North Carolina Woodworker Poster" PMs that have been circulating but feel that it should be posted as a separate item on this forum.

I agree with Doug that having a budget and adhering to it ,to the greatest extent possible, is a good idea. However, as Travis said, we are a new organization that is still feeling its way. There are going to be times that we encounter things that, due to not having been down this road before, will require expenditures that were not anticipated and we will have to be somewhat flexible. That scenario (unexpected expenditures) happens to even well established organizations but they normally have policies and procedures in place to address those needs. The time that a budget for this fiscal year should have been prepared was near the end of the prior year, but that was not possible due to the transition that occured on July 1. That is certainly something this board should do during the second quarter of next calendar year. It is not too late to prepare a budget for the remaining eight months of this year.

I won't be attending the events that require an overnight stay but I do believe that the major expense, lodging, should be covered for those BoD members who are required to attend. My definition of "required" is defined by the responsibilities of the position. ScottM, as Events Director, certainly should be reimbursed. Also, any BoD member who attends that will have major responsilities beneficial to North Carolina Woodworker should also be reimbursed. Simply attending as a BoD member should not, IMHO, automatically qualify one for reimbursement. A written policy should be established that will cover this, and similiar, situations. Those expenses could then be reflected in the next budget.

Having had severe hearing difficulties for the past 20 years does not qualify me as an expert on
whether we should, or should not, have a PA system for North Carolina Woodworker events. Obviously, such a system would have been a tremendous help for me at the picnic but an organization should not expend funds for the benefit of just one, or a very few, people. However, if a system benefits the overall membership, then the expenditure is justified. There are a lot of us older folks whose hearing is not as acute as it once was. Many people need, but may not realize it, to wear a hearing aid(s). A PA system would certainly benefit them. Then there is the group that doesn't necessarily have hearing difficulties but, due to the size of the room or crowd cannot hear the speaker. So much of being able to hear depends, not only on the listener, but on the speaker as well. Some people have a booming voice while others are softer spoken. When I consider all the elements of communication (speaking and understanding) and also consider the type events we have (picnic, demos, etc.) it is very obvious to me that the expense required to have a modest PA system is justified. and I move that we purchase one.

I don't know if Roberts Rules of Order allow this, but if they do, a motion to purchase a PA system is on the table.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Thanks!!! You beat me to it!!!

I think we need to have 3 separate threads.

I will open a thread for expenses, and another for budget. Can we use this one is for a PA system?

My question is how much? Are we talking $50 or $100 or $500 or $1000? What is the life of these things?

I can see it in all honesty, but I don't want us just going out and buying a piece of junk without doing the research on it. Say we go out and buy a single mic unit and then realize we should have gotten a dual mic unit, that kind of thing.

M

McRabbet

The unit I proposed is about $175 including shipping and is found here. I've copied the full product description into this thread to help everyone understand what it provides.

Product Description
The Hisonic HS120B seamlessly combines a powerful 40 watts speaker with a VHF wireless microphone system into one portable PA system. The speaker is built-in with a long-life high-capacity rechargeable battery, ideal for outdoor activities where there's no access to a wall outlet. When the battery level is low, simply plug into a wall outlet with included power cord to charge it up again. The speaker can also be powered by the power cord and a 12V/DC adapter (included). The system comes with one handheld transmitter/microphone and one body-pack transmitter, which can be used with either a headset microphone or a lapel microphone. So you have the convenience of choosing one out of the three microphones to use at a time depending on your application. In addition, the system has additional microphone input jack if more microphones are needed. An audio input jack is available so you can play the music using the speaker by plugging in your CD player, cassette player or an MP3 player including ipod. With its versatility and portability, this system has been widely used among the professions such as teachers, auctioneers, studio instructors and etc. If you need to find out more about this product, you can reach us toll free 866-524-8676, M-F, 9AM-5:30PM Pacific standard time, excluding major national holidays. The package includes the speaker, one handheld microphone, one body-pack transmitter, one headset microphone, one lavalier microphone, power cord, two 9V batteries, 12VDC adapter (cigarette lighter adapter) and a carrying bag.

It is a small, portable unit (11.5 x 4.5 x 7) that weighs just 6 pounds. It can be operated on battery power (rechargeable) or on 120V power and has three included wireless microphones (an additional microphone can be plugged in as well, if needed).

Justification: NC Woodworker events include our Spring Picnic, the Fall Klingspor Extravaganza and shop tours where this system would great assist "getting the word" across. At our large events like these, we are in large, open spaces with significant ambient sounds and a speaker has trouble getting his or her voice projected out to the assembled people. Last year, many had problems hearing Steve announce various things at the Picnic and last Fall, our live demonstrators had real problems projecting their message to people watching. Speakers like Phillip Christy (scrollsawing demo) or Alex Lesniac (Pen Turning) have limited range in their natural voices and this would help everyone hear their talk rather than straining to hear. This unit carries a one year warranty, which is reasonable and is ideal for our applications. I also recall how difficult it was to hear Scott Smith during his demonstrations during last Fall's South Raleigh Shop Crawl and this unit's self-contained power would have solved that issue.

I'm sure there are better units on the market, but at this price with a one-year guarantee, I think we'd do just fine.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
From what I've seen, the price and features on the unit that Rob recommends are suitable for our needs.

This is a reasonable purchase. I've scanned for some used units, but they are either too bulky, too old, too expensive, or potentially too underpowered.

I would support this acquisition. We need to figure out who will be responsible for keeping up with it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I concur to the need and well as this seems to be a reasonable amount to spend. Just one thought. :widea: How about we post an announcement / request and ask if anyone of our members have a PA system (portable and in good working order) they want to donate. Donations to NCWW do not have to always be cash.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The price on it is better than I would have expected.

I like Scott's recommendation to see if someone has one. Also, does this one have everything we will want/need from it?

M

McRabbet

Yes, this system comes with two microphones that can be used "hands-free" -- a Lavalier mike that clips to ones shirt or a headset style that one wears on the head. Both have wires that run to the wireless transmitter usuall worn on the rear of the pant on the belt -- the wires should be run inside the shirt so they could not get snagged by a tool. The Amplifier and speaker unit are placed where the audience can best hear the demonstrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors