Overthinking the Lathe

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
One of the few common shop tools that I don't own is a lathe. While there have been times when I could have used a late to make something like a handle for a chisel or make a few pulls for a cabinet project, I never had a compelling need for a lathe for most of my woodworking projects. The practical need for a lathe stood in stark contrast to the reality that I always enjoyed watching woodworkers use a lathe. There is something about seeing someone use a lathe to turn a blank of wood into something useful. The physical process of a seeing a spinning piece of wood, changing before my eyes, wood shavings flying everywhere is enticing too. There is part of me that very much wants to buy and learn to use a lathe.

Making turned components for my woodworking projects would be a new challenge. However, I don't have a driving interest to make bowls, plates, or pens. I don't want to be the uncle who gives everyone a wooden bowl or pen for their birthday or Christmas. Neither do I want to try to convince the wife to replace her porcelain plates with exotic wood plates - that would not end well. Buying a lathe that sits in the corner of the shop, collecting dust, is not the wise use of money or shop space. I have a few friends who own lathes. Two of them don't own so much as a table saw or planer. One does not have a single shop tool, other than his lathe. They make: bowls, plates, round boxes, and pens, mostly. None of them make cabinets or furniture.

I have my eye on a Record Coronet Herald lathe. It gets great reviews. It would undoubtedly do anything that I need a lathe to do. The price is reasonable too.

Am I overthinking buying a lathe? Or am I missing something that I could do with a lathe?

Thanks - Pete

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Have you used your friends lathes? Get a feel for the process and see if doing brings as much joy as watching. You may end up finding reasons to incorporate turned pieces in your projects.

And while a lathe may be reasonable you then need the right chucks, turning tools, measuring tools, etc. As with any tool - the accessories add up!

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
In addition to the cost of the lathe and accessories, there is the time to learn how to turn and become proficient at turning. Are you willing to dedicate the time practicing so that you can produce something that meets your standard of quality.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Pete, look around on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for a used lathe. They often come up for a reasonable price. Sometimes there are accessories included. If you find one, come back here to see if anyone has good or bad things to say about it. Lots of Youtube vids and books available. If you get a lathe and don't find you use it, then you can sell it.

Roy G

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Remember,
We have the goodwill lathe, if it is a matter of trying it out to see if you like it or absolutely do not...
I am not sure of the current user's time left, but I think it is March or April...

Here is a thread with some information about it: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/goodwill-lathe-nominations.71169/

I think @Oka is in charge of the lathe (under the current BOD structure) you can reach out to him for more information.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I'll check to be sure but end of March If I remember correctly.

Hank is correct in suggesting you try it to get a sense of what lathe turning is about.

Raymond is correct is it can be pricey to get into. Average lathe chisel is 50-150 a piece tools plus a grinder + a jig to sharpen... it can add up quick. Learning what brands of tools are good can help in getting them used, which saves money. I lucked out and got 4 super good gouges last year at a garage sale for 20/piece couple Crown and Robert Sorby. Turning is a blast ... always

Echd

C
User
It's sort of fun to just chuck up some green wood you found and see what you get. No major plans and no stress if you screw it up. It's also a fantastic way to use up wood scraps. Not every project has to be a perfect segmented bowl, make something abstract.

Initial costs for lathe work don't have to be high- they can generally be found reasonable on the used market. I sold my old jet 1014 for about a third of it's new price with some accessories, and it still sat for around a month. I replaced it with a new delta 46-460 but I bet if I tried to sell it today I'd probably be lucky to get 2/3 of what I paid for it (and I got it way under the going rate). You can get some carbide tools for around a hundred bucks to start out. If you go with HSS that's where the costs start creeping in... then you need a grinder, but not one you might have laying around, a slow one... and then a jig... and then a vari-grind... and then you might as well get some CBN wheels, right? And then you need a couple of chucks, and then you can start turning at last! I'm more than willing to believe hss tools result in a better eventual product but the cost to get there is high, and there is a bit more learning curve than with carbide.

But if you want to try it, get a decent smaller (but not too small) lathe and some carbide tools. You'll only be out a few hundred bucks and you can stow the lathe under your bench when not in use. You'll find plenty of uses for it.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
If you don’t need it nor have a deep desire to explore beyond furniture legs that are redily available then it would be a waste.
That was one of my primary concerns - would I be able to incorporate the late into making things that could be incorporated into my other woodworking projects. I have the feeling that once I had a lathe that I would find more uses for it. Then again, I'm preparing to sell a shaper that never was used as much as I originally anticipated.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Have you used your friends lathes? Get a feel for the process and see if doing brings as much joy as watching. You may end up finding reasons to incorporate turned pieces in your projects.

And while a lathe may be reasonable you then need the right chucks, turning tools, measuring tools, etc. As with any tool - the accessories add up!
I have used other people's lathes over the years. I admit that I loved using a lathe; it is a lot of fun. I figured that the tools and accessories would at least equal the cost of the lathe itself. Fortunately I have Tormek, so sharpening the cutting tools should not prove to be a serious challenge, if I were to decide to go with steel tools.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
If you go to the dark side, be afraid, very afraid - the tools and accessories can end up costing more than the lathe. So says a turner, me.
Based on the people that I know who are committed, bowl and platemakers, they have spent far more money on tools, chucks, etc. than what they paid for their lathes.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Remember,
We have the goodwill lathe, if it is a matter of trying it out to see if you like it or absolutely do not...
I am not sure of the current user's time left, but I think it is March or April...

Here is a thread with some information about it: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/goodwill-lathe-nominations.71169/

I think @Oka is in charge of the lathe (under the current BOD structure) you can reach out to him for more information.
I have no doubt that I would like using a lathe. Just watching people working on their lathes on YouTube is fascinating.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I'll check to be sure but end of March If I remember correctly.

Hank is correct in suggesting you try it to get a sense of what lathe turning is about.

Raymond is correct is it can be pricey to get into. Average lathe chisel is 50-150 a piece tools plus a grinder + a jig to sharpen... it can add up quick. Learning what brands of tools are good can help in getting them used, which saves money. I lucked out and got 4 super good gouges last year at a garage sale for 20/piece couple Crown and Robert Sorby. Turning is a blast ... always
I have no doubt that I would enjoy turning. I'd like to see if there are any classes reasonably close to where I live, too. Furthermore, I am very aware that the level of skill required to turn safely and productively far exceed those needed for most other woodworking tools.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
It's sort of fun to just chuck up some green wood you found and see what you get. No major plans and no stress if you screw it up. It's also a fantastic way to use up wood scraps. Not every project has to be a perfect segmented bowl, make something abstract.

Initial costs for lathe work don't have to be high- they can generally be found reasonable on the used market. I sold my old jet 1014 for about a third of it's new price with some accessories, and it still sat for around a month. I replaced it with a new delta 46-460 but I bet if I tried to sell it today I'd probably be lucky to get 2/3 of what I paid for it (and I got it way under the going rate). You can get some carbide tools for around a hundred bucks to start out. If you go with HSS that's where the costs start creeping in... then you need a grinder, but not one you might have laying around, a slow one... and then a jig... and then a vari-grind... and then you might as well get some CBN wheels, right? And then you need a couple of chucks, and then you can start turning at last! I'm more than willing to believe hss tools result in a better eventual product but the cost to get there is high, and there is a bit more learning curve than with carbide.

But if you want to try it, get a decent smaller (but not too small) lathe and some carbide tools. You'll only be out a few hundred bucks and you can stow the lathe under your bench when not in use. You'll find plenty of uses for it.
The first things that I made on a friend's lathe were a few hickory handles for some antique Buck firmer chisels that I bought that didn't have handles. It took a few tries to get the taper right, but it was a lot of fun, not to mention useful.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Pete, you could go to the woodturning sites and see if there is a club close to you. Maybe Klingspor would give you some info about clubs.

Roy G

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Pete, you could go to the woodturning sites and see if there is a club close to you. Maybe Klingspor would give you some info about clubs.

Roy G
I suspect that there must be a club somewhere in the area. There were quite a few wood turners at the last Klingspor woodworking show that I attended. I'm going to be at the Hickory location later this week. I'll inquire then.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have no doubt that I would enjoy turning. I'd like to see if there are any classes reasonably close to where I live, too. Furthermore, I am very aware that the level of skill required to turn safely and productively far exceed those needed for most other woodworking tools.
I think you would be surprised.
Not many people are "production" turners and "while spinning a piece of wood at a high rate of speed in front of your nose can be a recipe for disaster..." the reality is that you quickly understand what "feels" unsafe is probably something you shouldn't do.
Your approach to find a teacher or club is the right one. I am guessing with your level of interest, being around some people who have the "spinny-vortex" in their blood will pull you down this rabbit-hole faster than you can flick the switch! (forewarned is forearmed!) LOL

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Not sure where you live, but NC State offered adult night classes when I purchased my lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS