oval picture frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardcharger14

New User
Steve
The LOML was hanging some family photographs. My Grandmother photo was not behaving. " Come look at this and see if you can find the problem" Says LOML. The picture frame is a 22" X 16" oval with a convex glass. The photo was taken in the late 1800s. The two screws that attach the wire to the back are not on the same plane, and the wire is too long. To FIX the problem of the screws, we take the frame apart, Backer, Photo, Convex glass. We pull the small nail in the back, most are just finger tight a few are not. I go to get a pair of pliers. On my return LOML has It disassembled and has gone to find a black marker to touch up some small nicks in the frame. I look at the out of line screws and think to myself , Those screws have been holding the picture for over a 125 years, I will adjust the wire and move on. I adjust wire, hang empty frame on the wall, looks great. Wife is still looking for a marker. I start to reassemble. in goes the glass, LOOK OUT!! there is still a small nail in the frame, just slip the glass under an it and all will be well. CRACK there are TWO nails and the 100 + year old glass is broken and LOML is not happy:kamahlitu and I am hoping someone knows a source for oval convex glass. I have looked on the Net but feel this may be a custom job, I think I need new glasses. You do not want to know what the wife thinks.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Steve I will check with the place where I get my glass for my frames and see what they say - will let you know soon

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
OUCH!!! wanna borrow a sleeping bag?:rotflm: that glass will be hard to get i think. let us know where you get it just for future reference.......

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I'd start calling antique shops and glass shops. I found a source near me for flat reproduction glass. There's a possibility of getting something made. I know a local antique dealer who keeps all kinds of parts and pieces of antiques for just such cases.
I have my grandparents wedding picture from 1922. It's in the same kind of frame that you described. The glass is fine but the frame is something like plaster of paris over wood which was finger jointed. The joints are showing through the plaster and some of the plaster has begun to crumble. I have an old oval all wood frame too that I imagine once had the same kind of glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS