Outdoor sign wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
My in laws want me to make a sign for their place at the beach. What kind of wood would you suggest? This will be outside, salt air, probably no sun as it will be under an alcove.

Thanks in advance.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
White Oak, Mahogany (Hondouran), Eastern Red Cedar, Black Locust, pressure treated Pine :oops:, Teak, Ipe, Mangaris™ (red/yellow Balau) and MDO. Add in anything else if you paint it well enough.
Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Everything they said already ...

I used 8/4 Cypress for this sign for my neighbors beach house last month ... worked out well.

IMG_7730.JPG

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Since it won't be contacting the ground, will be in an alcove and is in a 'salty' environment, I think about any wood will work fine. Even good ole Southern yellow Pine or White Pine. There are gazillions of old homes and barns sided with SYP with no finish that are still solid after many decades of being out in the weather.

Rob

New User
Rob
Pine would be good and cheap, what kind of clear finish would be weatherproof? I made one for our house, used Polyurethane and it's peeling now.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Pine would be good and cheap, what kind of clear finish would be weatherproof? I made one for our house, used Polyurethane and it's peeling now.
Here is a decent write-up on exterior finishing. So far I've had good results with Behr exterior products, available at HD.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Rob,

Since any wood will work, you may want to look for a softer wood, with straighter grain, so that it's easier to carve .

Jimmy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS