Oregon Myrtle Lidded Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
This is my first attempt at a lidded bowl and pedestal. Oregon Myrtle is a joy to turn, sand and finish. Right now I have about 6 coats of Tung Oil on the out side so need to let it cure then buff it out. My attempt was to make the base of the pedestal mirror the bowls shape and the knob/finial mirror the bowl and pedestal. Comments and criticism would be appreciated.

P1010204.jpg

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nate that is very striking. I've never heard of Oregon Myrtle. What are the characteristics of the wood?
What are the finial and base?
And rough dimensions of the work?
I can't tell from the picture how the lid fits. Maybe a top picture and a lid off shot?
The finish shows the grain very well.
Nice work!

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
CaptnA,

Myrtle wood is a joy to work with. Mesquite my be a close comparison to how it works and it takes a finish beautifully. The finial and pedestal are American Holly that I dyed black with Kiwi Boot dye then oversprayed with Krylon Gloss Acrylic Spray. It is 8.5" in dia and 7" wide. Have to work on a top pic for you but think "Finial Star" and that's where inspiration came from.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Nate,

That ROCKS~! Criticism....Yeah right, None from me, I have all but great things to say about that turning~!

Way To GO~!

jtdums

New User
Jim
The boot black dyed holly is a neat trick. I try to use all domestics and this is a perfect way around relying on exotics for the great contrast in this piece. Great looking piece.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
That is absolutely beautiful. I love the proportion and the graceful curves. One of the prettiest I have ever seen.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nately done, Nice...I mean nicely done,Nate.

Oregon Myrtle? Wasn't she once a women's rassler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS