Opinions Wanted on Pfeil Woodcraft 80th Anniversary Carving Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I would imagine they are standard quality and it is a fantastic price. I would say it would get you well on your way if you are interested in adding carving to your skill set!

Knowing what I have learned since starting, this seems to be a pretty well balanced set.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Well I was on the edge till I got to the bottom of the list and saw . . .
"A Swiss Edelweiss drawing pencil"
That really sealed the deal for me :nah:
Seriously tho - it looks like a pretty good set for the price.

BTW: anyone want to have another carving get together?

pete

T

toolferone

Jeremy, as stated, same steel, just diferent handels and a nice tool roll. A really nice deal at $10 each.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy, as stated, same steel, just diferent handels and a nice tool roll. A really nice deal at $10 each.

That's how I saw it. People swear by Pfeil tools as to quality, and at $10/ea figured like a fairly safe bet for a beginner.

Pre-gloat ... order placed.:eek:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
PeteM, you need to take a road trip and bring the carving get-to-gether here in Raleigh.

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Actually it's only 8 carving tools but at $12.50 each. it's still a deal. Swiss made Pfeil carving tools are some of the best around. These depend on what you want to carve. Since I do mostly caricature and miniature carving, I prefer the palm tools but these can be used for that also.

Either way, Great deal!

Chuck

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Actually it's only 8 carving tools but at $12.50 each. it's still a deal. Swiss made Pfeil carving tools are some of the best around. These depend on what you want to carve. Since I do mostly caricature and miniature carving, I prefer the palm tools but these can be used for that also.

Either way, Great deal!

Chuck

Your math is a better better at a tool for tool price ... :gar-La; ... I guess I rounded down a couple bucks considering it came with a case and pencil :no:

Figured this is a good starting place at some basic carving. I think I want to try my hand at the letter carving like Ed had posted a month ago, or so, for those above the door signs. Thought those were pretty neat. Then if I get better, I can try something like PeteM's 3D weavings patterns

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If you are wanting to do some lettering, be sure to pick up a #5 fishtail for the serifs.

Ok. I don't know what that is ... but I can look. I need to check Amazon, because I have gift cards over there but never can find much I want to buy from them.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Jeremy,

I picked up that very set this weekend. I had a few Two Cherries but I am restoring a chippendale chair that had it's crest rail demolished when it flew out the back of the clients truck. I needed a few more types / sizes so I took the plunge.

The chisels seem to be just fine and for the price I don't think you can beat them. I also picked up 3 more standard Pfeil chisels and got a $25.00 gift card for spending the extra money.

I have a line on some other Pfeil chisels and if I don't buy them, I'll pass along the info. The chisels are new and are $20.00 each. Not exactly gloat worthy but still a pretty good savings from retail. If you buy $100 or more, the guy will pay shipping.

I'll let you know.

Mike

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Hey Jeremy...when I was at PeteM's for the carving get together I tried the palm style, the flexcut and Pfeils. I have to say I like the Pfeils a lot better in my untrained hands. They seemed a little sturdier and easier to control. JMTCW.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hey Jeremy...when I was at PeteM's for the carving get together I tried the palm style, the flexcut and Pfeils. I have to say I like the Pfeils a lot better in my untrained hands. They seemed a little sturdier and easier to control. JMTCW.

You're not the first I've heard something similar to that from. Though I have ZERO experience, it seems logical to me. I figure I'll start here and if a sweet deal comes up with some Flexcut I might add a couple of those too (later). I think I need to make a trip to PeteM's to test his out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS