Open ended drum sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've got a question for those of you that have a drum sander where one side is open. How many of you have run a board wider than the drum size and how did it turn out? For example, running a 20" board through a Jet 16-32 drum sander. Also, have you had any issues with the feeder and the drum getting out of parallel?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

joec

joe
User
I have a Delta open ended DS. I do this often and without much issues. It can get out of alignment and need to be adjusted. I run a piece of MDF that has been spray painted black, through the sander. Once the piece of MDF gets about centered under the drum, I finish lowering the sander, while it is running, until it just touches the MDF, then raise the drum and take a look at the sanded area. If one side is different that the other, then an adjustment is needed. Running wide glue-ups through the drum sander is the reason I bought the machine.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I've got a question for those of you that have a drum sander where one side is open. How many of you have run a board wider than the drum size and how did it turn out? For example, running a 20" board through a Jet 16-32 drum sander. Also, have you had any issues with the feeder and the drum getting out of parallel?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

I have a 22-44 Jet. I have run a few pieces wider than 22" , actually, I recently ran a piece of CDX plywood through it for someone that was 42" wide. When I bought the machine, I spent a fair amount of time setting it up. However, when I ran the 42" wide plywood through it, there was no VISIBLE "peak" or "valley". But, there actually was some variation from outside edge to the center. I was curious, so I got out my verniers and the difference was around .007" (thickness of 2 hairs) from edge to center. I think I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS