Old Rose Wood Piano Needs Woodworker to Give it New Life

jademasi

New User
Janina
It does look like it could be made into a craps table. Did not even think of that! I am hopeful someone will decide to take on this project.

Amdenis

New User
amdenis
I have a use for it, conversion to a Nord digital grand, and don’t mind the refinishing work as I have a full shop. It really depends on whether the final cost with shipping are. What are the expected shipping costs above and beyond the sale price?

BML

Lee
Senior User
Check out the Antique Piano Shop…they specialize in restoring antiques and appear to have a niche for square pianos. I enjoy browsing their website from time to time.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a baby grand that I bought for my wife some 40+ years ago used. One of the tuning pins has become loose and it will no longer hold a tune and I was told it wasn't worth fixing. I have in mind of gutting it and mounting it on the wall as a liquor cabinet - a 'piano bar', so to speak.........
Don't know why a reamer and pin couldn't be made to fit that pin, though......

BML

Lee
Senior User
I have a baby grand that I bought for my wife some 40+ years ago used. One of the tuning pins has become loose and it will no longer hold a tune and I was told it wasn't worth fixing. I have in mind of gutting it and mounting it on the wall as a liquor cabinet - a 'piano bar', so to speak.........
Don't know why a reamer and pin couldn't be made to fit that pin, though......
That’s seems absurd. If you were closer to Raleigh I would say try Ruggero Piano. I am not familiar with the shops in your area, but it seems fixable. By chance did the tuning shop offer to buy the piano?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I bet Ernie can make it musical again. He has a talent for that sort of thing.
That's a truly beautiful piece. It may or may not have any musical value and it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to re-purpose the wood unless the price was low. I would call your local chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild and find out which of their members has experience with these pianos. It would be worth the cost of a visit to find out what is really wrong mechanically and what its possible resale value would be. If it turns out to be salvageable, you might contact some of the big rebuilders in NY (like A&C PianoCraft) and see if they might be interested. Sending a picture would help. Weber, in those days, was a fine company that was a direct competitor to Steinway. If you can find a serial number on the plate, send me a pm and I can look it up and tell you the year it was built.
There is a member, ErnieM, who might be a source. I sent him a message. Hopefully he will respond soon.

I bet Ernie can make it musical again. He has a talent for that sort of thing.

Reactions: BML

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
That’s seems absurd. If you were closer to Raleigh I would say try Ruggero Piano. I am not familiar with the shops in your area, but it seems fixable. By chance did the tuning shop offer to buy the piano?
It may seem absurd, but it's not. Loose tuning pins are common in older pianos. If the piano has its original tuning pins (a piano tech would be able to determine that) the piano can be restrung using bigger tuning pins - they come in seven different diameters. However, if the tuning pins are loose and the pinblock is cracked, re-stringing with larger pins will only spread the crack and make the situation worse. Again, it would take a technician to determine whether or not the pinblock is cracked. If so, the piano would need a new pinblock, new strings and pins, etc. which would cost thousands.

Tuning pins aside, there are thousands of other parts in the piano, many if not most would also be in need of attention. No sense spending money on fixing the tuning problems only to find that there are other serious problems with the instrument.

Reactions: BML

BML

Lee
Senior User
It may seem absurd, but it's not. Loose tuning pins are common in older pianos. If the piano has its original tuning pins (a piano tech would be able to determine that) the piano can be restrung using bigger tuning pins - they come in seven different diameters. However, if the tuning pins are loose and the pinblock is cracked, re-stringing with larger pins will only spread the crack and make the situation worse. Again, it would take a technician to determine whether or not the pinblock is cracked. If so, the piano would need a new pinblock, new strings and pins, etc. which would cost thousands.

Tuning pins aside, there are thousands of other parts in the piano, many if not most would also be in need of attention. No sense spending money on fixing the tuning problems only to find that there are other serious problems with the instrument.

Thanks for the explanation and education! I always enjoy learning about niche crafts and such. I suppose I just hate the idea of throwing something away because it’s “not worth fixing”…especially something like a piano. But I get it…like a vehicle, some repairs overcome the cost of a replacement of better quality.

My wife used to teach piano and had several students who had steinways, bosendorfer, high end Yamahas, and schimmels, who would talk about tuners or repair shops saying the pianos weren’t worth the repairs, only to offer to buy the pianos and low prices. I am sure this is an isolated thing, but I tend to be a romantic with regard to saving fine musical instruments!

I digress….

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS