Old Rose Wood Piano Needs Woodworker to Give it New Life

jademasi

New User
Janina
Looking for a place to sell a late 1800's square grand piano. Piano is not longer of musical value but is made of beautiful rose wood. It has carved legs, music stand and foot pedals. Could be made into a handsome piece of furniture. Hoping to sell this item to a woodworker.
piano1.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I don't know what the regulations are but those keys might be ivory. Best to check it out.

Roy G

jademasi

New User
Janina
Thank you Roy G. I did not realize the piano could not be sold with the ivory keys. The keyboard will be removed and the keys will be donated to a piano restorer.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I have been told that some of the selling ivory issues have gotten better ... Not from personal experience.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Technically, ivory piano keys are not illegal, but the trade of ivory is heavily regulated. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) regulates the trade of ivory.

jademasi

New User
Janina
I guess it will require further research. Thank you everyone for your help!

Any ideas on where I could find someone interested in taking on this project of turning this beautiful piano into a piece of furniture?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess it will require further research. Thank you everyone for your help!

Any ideas on where I could find someone interested in taking on this project of turning this beautiful piano into a piece of furniture?
There is a member, ErnieM, who might be a source. I sent him a message. Hopefully he will respond soon.

jademasi

New User
Janina
I have not had any bites at the $1350 asking price. What would be a reasonable price to entice someone to take on this piano project?

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
It is likely those keys are ivory. I believe exceptions are granted for antique musical instruments but you will need to research further.

Get a blacklight and shine it on the keys. If they glow then it's likely ivory. There are other tests but that's the least destructive.

And what makes the piano unplayable? Cracked soundboard? Bad mechanicals?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have not had any bites at the $1350 asking price. What would be a reasonable price to entice someone to take on this piano project?
we've not been able to give away (free) pianos we've come across over the years unfortunately.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Did you check out what pianos are going for on marketplace or Craigslist for comparables?

I ask because pricing for pianos that I’ve seen tends to be disproportionate to the quality of lumber/craftsmanship of the piece.

jademasi

New User
Janina
The going price for a square grand piano is free to 10's of thousands of dollars depending upon condition.

The piano interior was restored decades ago by someone who did not do a very good job. I would go so far as to say my parents got swindled. The sound board is not cracked as far as a know. Many of the keys play - the ones that do not play have a problem with the hammers. During a move my mom lost the hardware to attach the foot pedal and lift the top.

The wood and carvings are lovely which is why I am interested in finding a woodworker to make something beautiful from it. Give it a new life.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
It looks like it could be made into a craps table. Unfortunately that would probably not make it any more desirable.😏

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS