Old Arn rehabilitation - Craftsman 6" jointer (Heavy pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Cast around 1956 (Craftsman model 113.20680), I got this from a work friend of mine. Having been sitting in an unsealed garage for ten years (and under a bbq grill cover), the patina of rust was fairly thick. It needed some help. (Fyi, I've never done this before.)
IMG_4040.JPG

img_4040.jpg
(Disassembled the fence and sprayed WD40 in hope of loosening the blades.)
Beyond the rust, the belt had sat in place for a decade and the bearings in the spindle and the motor were dried up.

IMG_4043.JPG

With new bearings on order off the net, I started stripping the rust with a removal disk and wire brush.
IMG_4044.JPG

First run with a rust removal disk. Not bad so far.
IMG_4045.JPG

Wire brush works great for the final layer.
IMG_4047.JPG

Jointer came complete with requisite sawdust and an old mouse nest.
IMG_4058.JPG

Rust removal goop worked wonders on the more intricate parts, but use in a ventilated area.
IMG_4059.JPG

Final result. Roughly 50 bolts were replaced in the stand alone. Most of the generic screws and snap rings in the cutterhead assembly were replaced too. Almost all of the original unpainted mechanical parts were rusted so were stripped. Unfortunately, rust stripper removed the blueing that was there, so I reapplied it with some cold blue from Walmart. Not as good, but better than bare steel.

Bearings were fairly easy to apply, though you have to be careful getting them off and on. Each pair was about $9 shipped off Ebay.

The belt and one loose pulley were actually easily ordered from Sears Parts, and cheaper than I could have gotten elsewhere. $12 for both! The diagrams off the Sears website are also invaluable.

Added a shelf to stiffen up the base, and under the cutterhead added a dust port for a 4" outlet. The dc outlet works so good I might have to add inlet holes to keep the work from sticking to the table.

Right now it runs like a champ, though the blades donated by Eric at CubicDissection are still being sharpened. The old blades were donated to Bob Verne to be cut up for hollowing tool bits. :mrgreen:

Kerry
Vernewoodworks.com

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good job. Doesn't it feel good to see results like that from liberal applications of elbow grease? Gotta do the same thing to a 'sister' unit soon!
You give me hope it'll work. What was the site that had the bearings if I might ask?

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great job, man wow.:icon_chee You do have so patience.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
That has got to make you proud. And as you should be.:notworthy:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Great work~
I'd swap a new Delta for it if you'd prefer not to worry with that OLD thing....
Awfully nice to see craftsman ship at work on the other side of the wood. Wish more things were repairable and not expected to be replaced

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Great job ! It's amazing what you can do with a little knowledge and some elbow grease.:eusa_clap

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Good job. Doesn't it feel good to see results like that from liberal applications of elbow grease? Gotta do the same thing to a 'sister' unit soon!
You give me hope it'll work. What was the site that had the bearings if I might ask?

I found them off an Ebay store called Bearing Bargains (http://stores.ebay.com/BEARING-BARGAINS ) that had reasonable prices and shipping. VXB.com also has a good selection. If you plan to do the motor and spindle all at once, shipping should be easier. The spindle has several snap rings, so don't try to pound it apart like I did. I'll send a note offline with more details.

CaptnA: Unfortunately, its big brother bought from Steve Coles is moving in tonight, so this puppy needs a new place to stay. If it wasn't 100lbs, I'd hang it on my wall. I'll post it in the ForSale forum after I get some dimensions and better pictures.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice job Kerry, gives me inspiration to work on mine, any pics of dust collection setup you added? I need to add dust collection to mine :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Outstanding job! For someone doing a restoration for the first time, this is phenomenal. Old 'arn? Looks like new 'arn to me!!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Super job, Kerry!
It may be your first Old Arn rehab, but you obviously know what your doing :icon_thum

Thanks for sharing,
Roger

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Craftsman 6" jointer dust collection

Nice job Kerry, gives me inspiration to work on mine, any pics of dust collection setup you added? I need to add dust collection to mine :wsmile:
IMG_4068m.JPG

All made of scrap 1/2" plywood that's 7 1/4" wide. Under the cardboard there's two 1/4"-20 T-nuts on diagonal to hold the cross-support to the top. The hardboard is cut to fit into the top of the movable bed.

IMG_4070m.JPG
The support needed a piece of 1/2" and a piece of 3/16" scraps to pad things to the proper height. I rough cut the hole with a jig-saw and cleaned it up with a flush-trim bit. The flange is stock from HD, but needed some crimping to get the DC adapter to fit. It only took a couple dozen trips back and forth to the bandsaw to get things to fit.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
With this 'economic downturn' I expect
we'll be seeing more rebuilds of old arn in the near future. I'm all for it!:icon_thum

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, that is a great restoration, but raises a question. What are you going to do with it. Now you have picked up my 6" Delta.:gar-La;

Oh BTW,you/I forgot the access plate. :swoon:

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
If I don't catch up with you before the picnic, I'll hopefully be there to pick it up.

As for this beauty, it needs a new home and will be posted shortly in the classifieds. I'm not sure for how much, but it's as 'new' condition as they get. I even pick up the sharpened blades today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS