Oh Sh.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Man what a dumb a... I am. Sat. afternoon I was in a hurry and talking to someone and cut the pocket holes to attach the banding to my table top. I was way too mad:BangHead: to take any pictures then but below is a recreation of what I did although the banding is now in place. Also, my patch for it before scraping and sanding. It is now almost invisable. I wouldn't be surprised to be kicked off the forum for such a bonehead mistake. Maybe 30 lashes will sufice.:slap:

Attachments

• 100_0290.jpg
    100_0290.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_0289.jpg
    100_0289.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 196

4yanks

New User
Willie
Larry,

I think we've all been there at some time or another. I know I have (a lot more than once). It still looks great. Don't beat yourself up too hard.

Monty

New User
Monty
That's a very nice design - it's going to look great! Let's see... just five more patches and it'll look like you planned it that way! ;) :D

Seriously - your patch looks good, and you'll be the only one who sees the "flaw" (except now WE all know !)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Looks like a single hiccup to me. Not so bad.

That said, I know the feeling I get when I figure out I have made such a brilliant move. :BangHead: :BangHead:

Nice recovery in a difficult grain/color area. :icon_thum

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is gorgeous! You have to show pics of the patch and tell how you repaired it.

I have done the same thing with the pocket hole and similar acts of not thinking with biscuits.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Travis, If you look closely at the pic on the right, you can see the patch. After I got through crying, I filled the hole with a dowel and cut it flush with a block plane. Then I cut a patch from the same veneer and traced around it. With a 1/8" straight bit I routed it out and finished trimming with a chisel. The patch was glued in, scraped and sanded. I did some more work after I took the picture and it looks better. In the pic it looks like the grain doesn't match but it does.

DavidF

New User
David
Travis, If you look closely at the pic on the right, you can see the patch. After I got through crying, I filled the hole with a dowel and cut it flush with a block plane. Then I cut a patch from the same veneer and traced around it. With a 1/8" straight bit I routed it out and finished trimming with a chisel. The patch was glued in, scraped and sanded. I did some more work after I took the picture and it looks better. In the pic it looks like the grain doesn't match but it does.

I hope it stays that way when the finish is applied. If the angle of the fibres is different in the patch it will reflect the light differently than the surroundings - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I wouldn't be surprised to be kicked off the forum for such a bonehead mistake.

If that was the policy I would be gone long ago. But man, that was a real dozy 8-O 8-O You recovered well, and that is the true sign of a good woodworker... the ability to hide your mistakes. P.S. it works better if you tell no one about them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Larry,
Nice looking top and I hope you will tell us more about it, I guess the nautical compass is a veneer inlay. Nice rebound from the :BangHead: too, it doesn't show up much in the pictures. Ditto what Dave said, the thing that separates the mediocre woodworker from the good woodworker is your ability to fix your mistakes, we're all gonna screw up. :violent1:

clowman

Clay Lowman
I wouldn't be surprised to be kicked off the forum for such a bonehead mistake.
Psssttt... Hey.. check this out... Look Here (don't worry about being booted off the board) :rolf::rolf:

I do love that top. I wished I messed up like that.

cskipper

Cathy
What, there is no photographic evidence of my screw-ups :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave (don't go to my albums):)

Yeah, except for the paint...... But, then, that wasn't really a screwup, it was a slight miscalculation, huh?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Everybody makes mistakes, but a craftsman knows how to cover/ hid them. Remember this phrase "I planned it that way." It comes in handy when there is no correcting/ hiding of mistakes.

M

McRabbet

If it shows after you apply finish, then I'd suggest your rout it back out and made a medallion patch in a contrasting wood with your initials or the date or whatever and make it a positive element to celebrate the whole table top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS