Odyssey Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
For the last couple of months I have been working with a group of students at a local alternative school called The Odyssey School. Last year they cut down two hickory trees and left them about 9' tall. I saw them while riding by and decided to make a proposal to the school.

I made a proposal to have the students design, make models for and help carve these two stumps as part of their art class. As a result I was able to work with 10 students to create this sculpture and another that I will be posting soon. They did drawings first and then created clay models from their designs. These designs were voted on by the the school community with the most popular designs to be carved. On this sculpture the hawk is the school mascot, the sword and sheild represent the hero's journey, and the hand with the flame represents the freedom they have find their way in the education system.

I did the rough out with chainsaws and grinders and then the students started carving with gouges and mallets. It was an interesting experience for us all. The finished piece is pretty true to the model with only a few changes having to be made for strength. I am amazed how well the piece was designed and how well they worked together to create such a great piece. It was a great experience and quite the challenge to teach 16 to 18 year olds in a school environment.

Stave
www.stromcarver.com

Last edited:

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very cool project! It turned out wonderful! Will you cover it with spar urethane to keep it from rotting?

And I am glad the students got the chance to learn on a soft wood like hickory :).
Salem

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
How cool. I sure wish someone had made my art classes that interesting when I was in school. I'm sure this will have a lasting positive influence on the students. They are also to be concratulated for the accomplishment.

You continue to amaze me with your projects, both in their beauty and creativity.

- Ken.

stave

New User
stave
Thanks for all the support for the work. The students really did an outstanding job. Hopefully one of them will follow the path less traveled because of the experience, there were a couple of real "independent" minded and spirited individuals in the class! We did have several discussions on the effect of fear on creativity. It was really an interesting experience.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors