Oak mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I need short and simple projects to keep me going. Something I can complete quickly and doesn't drag me down :).

This is one of those projects.

First a block:
69CG6670.JPG

View image in gallery

A couple hours later:

This is the first wood mallet I have owned. I like the weight and the feel of it. I cut the handle profile with the bandsaw then shaped with a rasp and finished with a scraper (nevermind the odd indention on the bottom of the handle that looks a little bit like allthread...).

This was an interesting hunk of QSWO (I think...) and had a fun ray fleck pattern:

As with all my projects there must be a "what did I do wrong" section :). This is the first time I have done a through tenon much less a wedged through tenon. I cut the kerf for the wedges too far from the side of the tenon. Try as I might that oak just would not flex! I also cut the wedges with too steep of a taper. I thought I cut them at 5 degrees but even that seemed too steep for the bandsaw kerf I was putting it in.

Also the stock had a split in it. And I helped it along by making the tenon too tight. I really should have left it loose and let the wedge take up the slack. But I think it will hold. We will see for how long :).

Thanks for looking!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice job, Salem. Have you tried it out yet? I bet it's as solid as a rock and will last for many years. Looks like the handle is shorter than usual. I intentionally use shorter handles on some of mine because I tend to be a little "heavy handed" at times and the shorter handles keep me from destroying things. :gar-Bi

Bill Clemmons

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice job, Salem. Have you tried it out yet? I bet it's as solid as a rock and will last for many years. Looks like the handle is shorter than usual. I intentionally use shorter handles on some of mine because I tend to be a little "heavy handed" at times and the shorter handles keep me from destroying things. :gar-Bi

Bill Clemmons

Bill,
I haven't used it for a real project yet. Of course I have whacked random things :). I realize now none of the pictures really show the size well. The face is 2 1/4" x 1 11/16". From the top to the bottom it is 11". The length seems right to me but I don't think I have ever even held another wooden mallet so maybe I got the dimensions all wrong :).

Do you think a wooden mallet should have a finish? Maybe just some BLO to seal it?
Thanks!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill,
Do you think a wooden mallet should have a finish? Maybe just some BLO to seal it?
Thanks!
Salem
It wouldn't hurt to put some BLO on it, or even a BLO/Varnish/Thinner 3 way mix. It would add a little lustre to it. But with QS White Oak, and being inside, I doubt if it really needs anything.

I saw some almost like yours at Woodworker's Supply today, but not as nice. They didn't have the wedged tenon, and weren't made with White Oak. I think they wanted about $35 for them. You done good! :icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have some Maloof style finish mixed up already for some drawer fronts. But I was not sure if I should put down anything that forms a film considering I am going to be hitting things with it... Then again it takes quite a few coats before the stuff actually forms any real film.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I usually put a couple coats of wipe-on finish from what ever else is going on in a near time frame (you are right, its not heavy so does not cause a problem.) However, when I made the first one, I just rubbed some Johnson's wax on it and it held up fine.

Go

eyekode

New User
Salem
Mark, I am a newbie with hand tools. I see your avatar is a mallet as well. That is a carver's mallet right? What is the idea behind a cylindrical mallet? Seems like that could lead to glancing blows... What am I missing?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, I am a newbie with hand tools. I see your avatar is a mallet as well. That is a carver's mallet right? What is the idea behind a cylindrical mallet? Seems like that could lead to glancing blows... What am I missing?

You are not missing much. I made the one in the avatar because I had a piece of dogwood, and wanted to see if I could make something round (I do not have a lathe. I did it with saw, drawknife and spokeshave)

In use, it works well, and does not have as bad a tendancy to glance a blow as you might think. However, I still need to adjust this one a bit because I do not like the balance.

The one I use for almost everything, my real favorite, and that is now on its third head, is this one:

Vise1.jpg

The handle is oval and the weight with the white oak head fits my hand perfectly. I may make another based on your design, because fitting the handle will be easier.

Go

eyekode

New User
Salem
Woah, that mallet looks well used! And nice job on that cylindrical mallet. I just assumed it was done on a lathe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS