Not Ready 4 Scrap Pile Follies

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I read the posts where some members were having good luck finding uses for leftover wood, so I thought I would give it a go. I've been meaning to build a mobile stand for my planer, and a quick measure of leftover ply found I had 23 pieces just the right size for my sides. I cut my top & back to size, and got me some casters and a couple of 2x4's (splicing 12" & 15" scraps together seemed cheap, which is a lot coming from me :rolleyes: ). I put in some brackets I scavenged from some pallets at work, and I gotta get me a shelf and a bottom from my leftover-leftover ply. I dunno if I want to put a door on it, but here are the required pics......
IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is an excellent use of scraps. You got a stand for your planer and gained some space for some more scraps!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
They are not scraps. Consider them wood that has not found a project to call it's own. :gar-Bi

Rob

New User
Rob
That's my next build, right now my planer is sitting on the floor, when I need it, it goes on a board across saw horses. I was going to build a nice cabinet, but I have some scrap to use up myself.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If it's big enough my shop vac can't vacuum it up, it's not scrap. It's stock! Good looking stand, that should serve you well. I recommend a door, or whatever you're storing on the shelf will be covered with dust and shavings.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Tom: We're thinking similar thoughts. In this month's issue of Woodworker's Journal, Page 58, is a mobile shop table with multi uses. I picked up the casters tonight at HF in Kannapolis.

This just might be my rainy day project tomorrow!

Yours is looking good!

:wwink:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Man I love it when [strike]scraps[/strike] offcuts find their rightful place :eusa_clap

Good job :icon_thum

sure wish I knew how to build something :BangHead:
I tend to just make more [strike]scraps[/strike] offcuts :gar-La;

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
IMG_1944.jpg

You know how things conspire against you, so nothing goes as planned? Well, I ran out of ply (not even enough to piece together for a door), ran out of woodscrews.....shoot, I even went thru the hardware saved from a good 18 years ago, and could not even find sheet metal screws to install the shelf and bottom! :BangHead: What's a WW'er do in stressful times like this? :help:

I am so ashamed....:XXfridge:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Outstanding piece. And all the better for the ingenious use of 'parts'.
In my line of work we call that- 'utilization of available resources' and I teach that sort of thing as a management technique in fire department leadership classes.

BAS I'm with ya, my vac can't ingest stock. Everything else is waste
unless I need it for filling by mixing with ca

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS