Not much of a carver, but.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Spent this wonderful afternoon outside doing some "homework" for the Maloof rocker class. This is my 1st time ever carving out a seat and I must say it was very therapeutic-almost zen like. Here's the pics to prove it happened:

and please-no comments on my ghetto carving bench:wink_smil
Can't wait till I get my angle grinder so I can apply some power to it!!
Thanks for looking!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Never carved before? :icon_scra You sure fooled me. Very nice work Mike! Your description of it really makes me want to try it! Great job and I can't wait to see the rocker all done. :icon_thum

Looks like our first noreaster of the season right now. The surf is getting pretty big and the wind is howling.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
The carving looks darn good to me:icon_thum
Do you have the plans for your carving bench so I can make one like it?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
And why would you want to ruin that work with an angle grinder?

Just work it down with smaller/finer cuts till it is smooth all over.

Leave a little of the last tool marks for outstanding character!

You already have the hard part done, finish it the same way.

Talk about Zen! :icon_thum

Shamrock

New User
Michael
"Do you have the plans for your carving bench so I can make one like it?"

Earl-
Yes, detailed plans are available for just $19.99. I will also be offering a 7 day class on building my carving bench for just $799 + materials-it's sure to fill up fast so reserve your spot early:gar-La;.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:-clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, this past weekend finally got around to my seat. Maybe not as good as Mike's (he's got an eye for detail like no other), but it's coming along. I've carved until my hands and shoulders hurt, and then used that grinder with a sanding disk until I was covered in dust! Boy did that Trend Airshield come in handy! Can't imagine what my lungs would have been like without it!

Though not "done", the hard part is behind me!

IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8730.JPG

IMG_8739.JPG

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Just keep in mind what that rocker is going to look like when you get it done!

It's looking great, keep on keeping on.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Jeremy-the "throne" looks like its coming along great- you might want to make the butt portion a bit deeper though:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;. I knew you'd break out the angle grinder and the Trend-wish I had one-the angle grinder shur does make a mess. Did you buy the carbide grinding wheel for the next one yet?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy-the "throne" looks like its coming along great- you might want to make the butt portion a bit deeper though:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;. I knew you'd break out the angle grinder and the Trend-wish I had one-the angle grinder shur does make a mess. Did you buy the carbide grinding wheel for the next one yet?

For those who read "the throne" and think I'm full of myself and proclaiming myself king ... let me explain. It's a throne because of my big backside. We measured and made the seats to our size, and mine was much large than the other guys ... which quicker made for "the throne".

Mike - You said the grinder made a mess ... and you weren't kidding.

I still need to do much refining work on it, but the bulk of the material is gone. Not sure if I'll get it before the next class, but I'll try.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Mike and Jeremy,

You guys are doing excellent. Both seats look in great shape for class this weekend. We'll discuss how to finish them off this weekend.

See ya,

John

R

rickc

For those who read "the throne" and think I'm full of myself and proclaiming myself king ... let me explain. It's a throne because of my big backside. We measured and made the seats to our size, and mine was much large than the other guys ... which quicker made for "the throne".

Funny - when I read the word "throne", I was expecting something in white porcelain!

[STRIKE]Butt[/STRIKE], However, it looks good so far! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS