NEXT Outreach Session - Something Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Our next Outreach session will be March 23 at my shop outside Liberty, NC, and will be a special event. Roy Underhill, the well known host of The Woodwright's Shop, has offered to conduct a class in hand tool skills for the Wounded Warriors.

Roy is working on the agenda for this special event, and we will provide whatever support he needs. Since this session will be very different from our previous sessions, we do not know at this time what kind of staffing requirements we will have. As soon as those details are available, we will let everyone know. So stay tuned. :eusa_danc

And just so everyone knows, a huge THANK YOU goes to Phil S for personally working w/ Roy to make this happen. And of course to Roy for donating his time and talents to this very worthy and deserving group, the Wounded Warriors.

Bill

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
That is great. I'm sure there won't be a shortage of volunteers for this class!

I do have one concern though. Given the lackluster attendance at the last session, coupled with the fact that there won't be random active duty soldiers walking around your shop if there are a lot of no-shows, makes me a little apprehensive. We would hate for Roy to come all the way out to your shop expecting to teach wounded warriors, only to find out that they didn't show up. I am sure all the helpers would be more than willing to take their place, but that isn't what Roy would be expecting. Just something to keep in mind for planning purposes.

Jeremy

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeremy, you have the same concerns Phil and I have. One way or the other, we WILL HAVE a full class of Wounded Warriors. And you're absolutely right about Roy not doing this to teach our members: this is something he wants to do for the Warriors.

Bill

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I do have one concern though. Given the lackluster attendance at the last session, coupled with the fact that there won't be random active duty soldiers walking around your shop if there are a lot of no-shows, makes me a little apprehensive. We would hate for Roy to come all the way out to your shop expecting to teach wounded warriors, only to find out that they didn't show up. I am sure all the helpers would be more than willing to take their place, but that isn't what Roy would be expecting. Just something to keep in mind for planning purposes.

Jeremy
I wonder how much offering a ride to the class would ensure more participation. Just a thought.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thank you, Jerry and Weldon. Weldon, I see you are in the Spring Lake area: are you still on active duty? Any thoughts you have on working w/ the Wounded Warriors would be appreciated.

One of the reasons we're moving around to different locations is to give those outside the Ft. Bragg area a chance to participate. For the sessions here, in Liberty, the WWP coordinator wants to open it up to those in the Piedmont Triad area (north central NC). If we don't have enough participants from that area, then we will have to bring in both Wounded Warriors and active personnel from the Ft. Bragg area. In that case, providing a ride may be one solution.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Bill

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
(about offering rides) Might not be a bad idea. I bet there are enough folks from Ft Bragg area to make it happen

If enough people volunteer, we might try to work out a shuttle system to keep people from having to do long trips. For example, for me to drive down there and bring a van load back to Raleigh would be much easier to swing than a full round trip to both ends. And yeah, I would be willing to do that end because I am sure it will be easier to find volunteers to drive from Raleigh to Liberty. :)

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
That's great news!

I'll reload my offer to do photography, and have my lovely, professional PR-person bride do videography and possibly media placement for this event. If you are interested in media placement, please let us know ASAP, as that needs a little lead-time in order to be most effective.

Good job folks!

K

DWSmith

New User
David
My Ford E150 has two back seats I normally don't have installed but for this I will be more than happy to put them back in and offer rides as needed.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kevin, Yes We do want you and your bride to document the event and work with the media. Our target audience has been the Wounded Warrior Project which are those warriors that have been discharged. Due to the difficultly we are experiencing getting full classes we are looking towards opening this up to all Wounded Warriors including those on active duty. I need to get agreement on this plan from all parties before we announce thru the media. This will happen within the next week or so. We appreciate your willingness to help with this program.

Thanks

That's great news!

I'll reload my offer to do photography, and have my lovely, professional PR-person bride do videography and possibly media placement for this event. If you are interested in media placement, please let us know ASAP, as that needs a little lead-time in order to be most effective.

Good job folks!

K

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to offer rides from anywhere to anywhere (within reason) if it gets more warriors to attend. I can comfortably sit three others in my CRV.

- Ken.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Folks, the free rides from Fayetteville is a good idea, and we may end up using that as a way to get a full class for Roy to teach. But before we get too far down that path, we need to see what the response is from the Piedmont Triad Warriors. The invitation is going out this week, and we should know soon how it is received. Then we can take a look at alternatives, if necessary.

Thanks to each of you who have offered to provide rides. It is very much appreciated.

Bill

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks to Phil S for being instrumental in makingthis possible. I offered to volunteer for the last outreach event and wasn't picked so I would like to be bumped up to volunteer for this event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS