Newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Hi,

I am a newbie to wood turning. If you haven't followed my saga, I built a treadle lathe (completed a treadle lathe to be exact) a while back. Mostly I used it to make a few handles for marking knives, etc, mostly turned with dry reclaimed scrap wood. I wanted to make a nice scratch awl and a few chisel handles with bright colors so they are easy to find. I bought a sealed turning blank of blood wood a few months ago. I finally got around to hardening the drill rod I wanted to use for the awl and cut a chunk of the blood wood and began turning. I realized this is still pretty wet wood. The awl handle I planned to make is pretty short and think, so I don't think the wood will check. I don't want it finish it yet because I'm guessing the ferrule would just fall off in a few months after it starts to dry.

Should I just let it dry out?
How should I do it and how long should it take?
What should I do with the remaining blank of blood wood. It's about 14" long now.

Regards,

Bryan

cskipper

Cathy
I don't know the answer, but someone will come along in a little while who does. I don't know that the small size will prevent checking, but will be interested in see the responses you get. Meanwhile, at least cover it with the shavings to allow it to dry more slowly.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do expect that it will shrink as it drys and cracking is very possible. I would rough turn it leaving it 1/3 larger then needed. I would then gather up the shavings and stick the rod and shavings in a paper bag. Keep it in a cool dry place. My guess would be a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS