Newbie here from Concord

Status
Not open for further replies.

knb226

New User
Kelly
Hello may name is Kelly, I am new to the site. I was recommended by ashley_phil, I know I am ambitious but I am looking to build a spinning wheel for my wife as an anniversary gift. http://www.craftsmanspace.com/Free projects/Spinning Wheel.pdf any help and/or advice would be great, also I don't have many woodworking tools, I am looking for some mentoring too. Also I am looking for some wood for the above mentioned project what is the best type of wood to get and how would I go about getting it? Do I need to take those plans somewhere?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Kelly. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I wish that I could help you with your questions, but I don't know the first thing about any of that. Hopefully someone else will chime in shortly. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the NCWW pile-o-sawdust. Glad you took Phil's advice and joined us. It's always a good day when another woodworker joins in.

Dragon

New User
David
Welcome Kelly. Sorry I don't have any advice or expertise in that area but I'm sure someone on here does.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. Just ask my wife ;-)

I don't have any experience turning anything as large as what you're needing done and I don't have much experience with spinning wheels but I'm always willing to help if I can.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
glad ya signed up kelly.

hope you don't get to discouraged with the spinning wheel.

i'm confident if we keep digging we can find you a doable plan.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Welcome Kelly,

That sure is an ambitious project you are attempting. I hope the anniversary you are making the spinning wheel for is not this year. As for the wood, I think white oak would be a good choice. As for tools it looks like it is going to take a band saw, a wood lathe and tools. Something to get the wood down to the thickness you need it to be would probably be needed or could be borrowed. Of course time is going to be the most you will need so you can make a lot of sawdust. I'm sure you will get other ideas, but at least this is a start.

Bob

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Kelly!
I'm between Concord and Harrisburg and happy to give you a hand. PM me and we can get together. Hope you're small. Doubt if 2 big people can fit in my shop at the same time:rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kelly!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

I look forward to seeing progress pictures of your spinning wheel project.:icon_thum

Wayne

knb226

New User
Kelly
Welcome Kelly!
I'm between Concord and Harrisburg and happy to give you a hand. PM me and we can get together. Hope you're small. Doubt if 2 big people can fit in my shop at the same time:rotflm:

Thanks I may take you up on your offer I live close to Central Cabbarrus High School. I am need of help/mentoring for sure. I want to make this and I really think I can since I am determined I know it will take a lot of work though http://www.craftsmanspace.com/Free projects/Spinning Wheel.pdf

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Sorry Kelly,
I'm a square and flat kind of wood worker. Wood doesn't spin in my shop. I would buy a spinning wheel or at least the precision parts.

How about one of the project here:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/ That's where I would suggest you start. Wife will love you just as much, you'll learn a bunch in the process and it'll be more fun. (And we can all help with those:eusa_danc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors